HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

In Response To: By the way ()

I wished you had made comments on the Reparation thread or selected more of the post. My response to what you 'paraphrased' came with other information and in a particular sequence that offers a contrast in case of possible misrepresentations. I am reposting the relevant post from that thread as a response.

Posted By: Ayinde
Date: 21, July 02, at 3:23 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Reparations must be paid (ROOTSWOMAN)

Greetings again:

You stated:

"One of the most important things we can do to truly REPAIR the damage done, is to RE-EDUCATE the collective. Because, like you say, most of us have acquired the taste for western products to suit our tastes (at the cost/sacrifice of our Ancient Traditions/Principles) then this seems one of the most important points to "tackle", meaning that RE-EDUCATION should find itself at the top of our "to do" list."

#

Yes, and this re-education that targets Africans is really necessary for all people and it should be available to all people so at least others who are classified as non-Africans can have the opportunity to realize their connectedness to the best of OUR (all people's) ancient traditions and values.

You stated:

"I would agree that human development is not based solely on recycling resources and moneys ONLY among ourselves, but we should make US our own FIRST priority. Part of Garveyism is about supporting OURSELVES FIRST. Hence the reason why I used Ethiopia in my earlier discussion to demonstrate that one can still adhere to "modernization" without prostituting oneself to the west, without assimilating ourselves culturally and spiritually, while remaining LOYAL to ourselves and our Traditions FIRST AND FOREMOST. We can sell and trade our resources with the west without being enslaved to their System/Order, as our Ancestors have proven."

#

I have tremendous respect for Garvey and many who attempted to address these issues in the past, but most of all I have respect for myself so I used my own senses and thought about these matters years ago. Here again I will continue giving MY views while maintaining respect for all who worked before.

The idea of supporting ‘OURSELVES FIRST’ has to be appreciated on another level for the meaning to be fair and equitable to all people.

I am not about repeating poor European ideas of simply defining OURSELVES along racial lines. The best of us are our core values that respects all of life, and in so defining us we can realize that supporting ourselves really means supporting all who demonstrate that they have developed or are developing around values that truly respects all manner of life/people. One's race bears a direct relation to how we see ourselves but ourselves must be appreciated to mean the awareness and values that qualifies us as just people. So in defining my SELF I look to values. Respect for our ancestors are integral in realizing the best values.

It may be that most Africans may realize these core developmental values before other people and as such the support may be for those Africans that have demonstrated the willingness to pursue higher values. But in saying this, the values are necessary for any race of people and if others demonstrate the values that first respect our ancestors and by extension each other then they also qualify for my support. This to me is what supporting MYSELF truly represents. I am not supporting anyone on the basis of his or her race, but I will support everyone who have demonstrated the respect for all of our ancestry and by extension all of life. Respect is about remembering the right order of how things evolved/developed.

It is in this order of respect I am aware that Africans were the first to point us in this equitable direction and even during our struggles Africans have always pointed to the need to recapture our history. So it is only fitting that those Africans who have labored in this truthful exercise be recognized before anyone else. I will not support a White person speaking these truths to people if I am aware that there are Africans who have been doing this work and have not been properly acknowledged. I would not support them giving the impression that they are trying to teach Africans or people in general something that Africans were already teaching. But if they pay respect each and every time to the many Africans who have labored in this field and they ensure that these people are properly rewarded for their efforts, then I may support them.

It is the awareness and values that make the difference today as many Black people are drunk with corruption as they delve deeper into the cesspool of wants and greed and are bent on showing that they can be as corrupt and materially wealthy like the European examples. It is by defining our values that we can discern OURSELVES from among the corruption of all else including people of our own race.

Lastly, you stated:

"I would agree that principly speaking, we cannot award compensation and dictate the use of it, but I feel we there should be a collective representation or Think Tank that discusses what is best for the COLLECTIVE as a WHOLE. This is not about individual compensation ONLY, but ultimately about COLLECTIVE COMPENSATION, therefore what is best for the WHOLE should be at the forefront of our discussions and SOLUTIONS. Like you so clearly state, its all about awareness, hence the reason why I ask these questions and pray that REPERATIONS is dealt with as a COLLECTIVE, thinking way ahead while remaining loyal to our ancestral duties."

#

Yes there should be a collective think tank but first, in each and every country where Africans reside there should be discussions on these issues and they should select representatives from amongst the interested African community to participate in a global think tank. Unfortunately here again Media access is important as in many countries this discussion is discouraged and Africans abroad are not aware that they are not harnessing our best ideas because of this. Too many people are ignorant about the issues surrounding reparations and as a result may be dissatisfied with anything agreed upon on their behalf.

MEDIA access is the key and it is for this as well as other reasons I support the development of alternative media that has access to many people in diverse regions. MEDIA, MEDIA, MEDIA. There is no way to over emphasize this. The lack of mass media access to persons who are better informed is the reason these issues take so long to be resolved.

Messages In This Thread

'White' Ignorance and Arrogance
Re: 'White' Ignorance and Arrogance
Why Whites Think Blacks Have No Problems
Dealing with Ignorance and Arrogance
GWAAAAAN AYINDE!
THANK YOU AYINDE!!! WELL SAID!!!!.NM. *NM*
WELL TRUE IYAH!!!!!!!!! *NM*
Opinion Corrections from the WHITE CHILD
Re: Ignorance and Arrogance
Kevn here is a fact you seem unaware of :
On Black Arrogance
Re: On Black Arrogance
Re: African Empress would you
Re: African Empress would you
By the way

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com