HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: Where is a mixed person roots from???

While I feel some people are clear on this issue I think a discussion about people who are considered mixed is relevant. Very often when I engage discussions about African History, the question of how do mixed people fit in comes up. It cannot be dismissed for several reasons.

Many people who are new to the discussions think that African history is only for Black people and although the mixed concerns usually come up as a distraction, it is relevant in many countries where colour lines have been blurred and there are class problems (Example Brazil and Venezuela).

In many countries Blacks who feel they are 'making it in society' heavily favor mixed people with predominantly European features. (Closer to some idea of a higher class) These people are favored in commercials and as news presenters and commentators. The idea being that they can present a more balanced view because they are mixed. (This is also racism)

More often their views are dominant and they push the same anti-African sentiments and get away with it by conveniently proclaiming that some member of their family is an African.

Some of the crudest people I have dealt with were mixed people especially in the Caribbean where the White population is small. Many of these people get preferential treatment and they are sometimes more intrusive and obstinate than Whites. Sometimes they are employed by Whites to regurgitate things that some Whites dare not say themselves.

I saw a South African discussion about this some years ago and they are trying to address a similar problem. Many of them have to gain an awareness of how their ideas and conduct in relation to class is fueled by White superiority and this is a prerequisite for them learning more about our history and by extension themselves.

The situation would be somewhat different in places like England or the US where there is a heavy White population. But even in those countries the mixed people are part of the micro social drama in the ghetto. They are preferred for Black shows and videos and they help keep the anti-social appeal the way it is.

Of course, many people on the net should be aware by now that all people came from Africa, but that alone is not enough to address the problems of class, gender and racial discriminations.

Understanding their appeal and how they are sometimes used is important in addressing racial discrimination.

Also, some mixed people are confused and suffer from a feeling of alienation for not feeling accepted in any of the social groups.

All of this is worthy of discussions as it is part of the socializing drama.

Roots:

"As we like to say "One drop...black wi black", for not only is "black" genetically dominant, but is the ESSENCE of life."

When you have time, kindly explain what you mean in the last part of the quote, “for not only is "black" genetically dominant but is the ESSENCE of life." I am not agreeing or disagreeing, I just want to hear your reasoning. (Preferably on another thread)

Messages In This Thread

Where is a mixed person roots from???
Where is a mixed person roots from?... AFRIKA!!!!!

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com