HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: My 2 cents on white rastas and black 'racism'
In Response To: Re: Rasta waste of time talk ()

Seen... crystal clear.
I think there's validity in your point of view, and there is also validity in Wendy and Aisha's point of view. Sometimes we can be too quick to put people in categories and make assumptions, like "This guy says race doesn''t matter, he must be an uncle tom" or "This sis questions the motives of white rastas, she must be a racist." But if we really discuss our differences with one another 9 times out of 10 we would find a common ground and work from there.

It's not for me to decide who is rasta and who isn't. I've met white rastas who are plainly 100% sincere and who do as much as blacks to support African and human liberation. I've also met many white rastas who are confused, who try to speak some ridiculous form of 'patois' when they're from Vermont, who think they can come and teach I about I culture, who are constantly complaining about 'reverse racism', who dis people involved in the liberation struggle because they say they are 'mixing up Rasta in politics.' And last but not least, who are misogynists and seize upon some of the negative elements of Rasta culture that many of us have been trying to purge for decades, in order to justify their fear and hatred of the female gender.

I might sound harsh, but that's been my experience.

Bob Marley once said (I'm paraphrasing) "There should be no war between black and white, but until the white man listen to the black man with an open heart, there must be suspicion."

Suspicion, he said... not paranoia, not hatred, not rejection, but suspicion. Basically asking people to show and prove.

I myself have been shown the same sort of suspicion a couple times on this message board, because of some of my beliefs and opinions... I try never to take offense at this, but to take it as an opportunity to explain myself as well as I can.

One other thought... I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems to me that there are far more American blacks who have what some would call 'racist' views of white people, as opposed to Caribbean and African blacks. Why might this be? I think because in the caribbean and Africa, for all the oppression we've gone through at the hands of whites, we've always been in the majority, and have been able to preserve more of our culture, so in a sense we're less insecure about our position, and therefore feel less threatened by whites... but in Amerikkka we've always been the minority, an island of black in a sea of white, surrounded on all sides... it's just a more hostile environment in many ways. So it shouldn't be too much of a surprise when especially African-Americans express suspicion of white motives. (Not saying the people who expressed this on this board are from America, I don't know).

Well that's my 2 cents on the whole issue. I gon leff it now and come in later with some suggestions on concrete initiatives that all a we can take regardless of our position on this... P.S. On that note please check my posts below on H.Rap Brown and The Jericho Movement to free U.S. political prisoners, if you haven't already.
Peace, Love, Respek- Jah Guide- Peace out, G-Man

Messages In This Thread

White Rastafarians
Re: White Rastafarians again and again and..
Rasta for I
Re: Rasta for I
Re: Rasta for I
Re: Rasta waste of time talk
Who determines waste of time talk?
Re: gman your 2 cents have worth
Re: Ras-lution (healing of the nations)!
Re: White Rastafari-Chosen by H.I.M
Re: White Rastafarians
Re: A question to Ital Iman I......

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com