Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: White Rasta?
In Response To: Re: White Rasta? ()

Greatest Raspect to you selassielive.

I do indeed agree with what you are saying.

Indeed it is very true you have to learn and know your own culture first and know where you are coming from first and foremost.

As a 14 year old, you are still learning many things. I can identify with the poster on this level as it was at this age that I too was starting to read and learn more about African History and culture. I think by then I was already well emersed in my own background and culture as that is handed to you by your Parents and Grandparents etc. and I feel you are ready to learn about other things of this world at that age.

Still though I totally agree that some then move too quick into what they see as being Rastafari. Like you say the first thing some do will be try to grow locks, often using fake methods, or changing the way you speak and dress in an attempt to mimick that you see as Rastafari.

You definitely have to know yourself and where you come from and then you can overs where other people are coming from and respect and be humble towards that, not trying to copy it or emulate it.

Most of us do though live in a World that is multicultural. Where travel has been reduced and where we have access to people and cultures we never had before. As well as the fight this can cause it also brings us to learn about other ways of doing things and seeing things.
Some of that is good and some of it is bad (as the Bible warns us of losing your culture and as we see has happened in parts of Africa).
We no longer live in isolated Villages and Towns where you only knew your own people and the people over the Mountain were different and strange to you. It is Human nature that we do mix and are influenced by others when we are thrown together. Some will see that as wrong and wish to separate and some will love the mix up and bonding of people. Whatever, it is a reality of Humanity in this time. I don't think we cannot dictate to the next man that he must not seek out other cultures, that he must only cleave to his own as that is not mankinds nature. It brings good and bad, but as long as we are reasoned enough to pick that which is positive from that which is negative we have to live with it.

Too many try to imitate and this is SO offensive. You must know you are a European, a white person. You come to Rastafari from a very different path to that of an African.
To mimick other peoples patterns of speech, or dress or culture is just a terrible thing to do I feel.

Once you know your own history and culture then you can indeed accept what is wrong with it and then your eyes are opened.

You still are a part of that culture, you cannot, nor should not, try to adopt someone elses completely as that is denying the Fathers design for you and HIS Plan for you.
I am very proud of my family and some of the history of my Working Class people. But equally I have seen its evil and its hypocrisy and its ignorance and lies.

It is a priority that as a European claiming to trod Rastafari then you do, as you say, reach out to other Europeans. That is something we can do, to make the change from within as we have access to things and people that Africans are denied. Teach and learn and try to redress the balance.

As long as those coming now to Rastafari are taught this is the path then I have no problem with it. Once you try to meddle or confuse the African livity of Rastafari then I will speak against you.

I think those who are seeking a path should be encouraged, but in the right way. Rather than be chased away to form their own ideas. Educate and uplift them to see the True wisdom of African teaching, rather than someone elses false interpretation.

But again I feel this is really for Europeans to do as Africans focus should be on Africans and African works, not being diverted to educate a few Europeans who wish to be so.
Just Raspect and Love to you Selassielive
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Africa and Africans 1st.

Selassie I

Messages In This Thread

White Rasta?
AGB: check my blog
White Rasta.......the oxymoron
Re: White Rasta.......the oxymoron
Re: White Rasta.......the oxymoron *NM* *LINK*
RJ
Re: RJ
Resonse to RJ!!!!!
RJ!!!!
AGB
Incient Yout'......
Re: Incient Yout'......
American Sadhu *LINK*
thanks, ADAM. *NM*
correction
bredren...give thanks for the saddhu link!!!!!! *NM*
Re: White Rasta? *LINK*
CURE Is a white conscious organization
CURE
Re: CURE Is a white conscious organization

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com