Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Forgive slavery, forget reparations

Selassie on freedom
published: Friday | January 5, 2007

The Editor, Sir:

It is known that 'You can't please all of the people all of the time', so I was prepared for the fact that my advice "Forgive slavery, forget reparations" would not be welcomed in all quarters.

I was thankful for the positive discussion that resulted, yet I was very surprised at the abusive, negative response from one source, especially since when I had asked this person to work with me for reparations, he publicly declined.

The main reason for my realisation that the fight for reparations is a lost cause is that in my experience, while many people talk about it, no one is interested in funding the work necessary to acquire it.

Using my own limited personal resources and efforts for the past five years have been an act of service that has made many objectives unattainable, both for the cause and especially for myself.

I have tried unsuccessfully for the past five years to obtain other resources from both prominent, wealthy members of the Rasta community, as well as Government sources, with all showing disinterest in keeping the work going. The general public showed less interest, as the various conferences and meetings I organised for the Jamaica Reparations Movement were poorly attended. I had to ask myself: Who is really interested in reparations?

This being the reality, I found myself unable to continue this solitary hardship, so I realised it was best to leave the matter to others and move on, resigning in August from the chair of the Reparations Sub-Committee of the JNHT bicentenary committee.

Selassie on freedom

Months later, thinking about the implications of slavery that would be forefront in 2007, I read these words of Emperor Haile Selassie on freedom: "We must put to the best use the rich heritage of our past for, in that way, and in that way alone can we live to the highest standard set by our forefathers. We hope the future generations will realise the magnitude of sacrifices that were required to accomplish all the works, so that they may preserve it as gain.

"Africa has been reborn as a free continent and Africans have been reborn as free men. The blood that was shed and the sufferings that were endured, are today Africa's advocates for freedom and unity. The glories and advantages of freedom cannot be purchased with all the world's material wealth."

The thought came to me that instead of us seeking "the world's material wealth", a powerful act of forgiveness by a people so wronged could stir a global response that could result in us achieving all the goals of reparations.

Along with this thought came the realisation that the faith I believe in requires forgiveness as I pray it each day in the Lords Prayer.

All this inspired me to write that article and suggest we look forward, not backwards, and work to make Jamaica greater.

Time will tell if my article was just the rantings of a misguided old lady and a reason for my demise, as some 'diehards' believe. but, as Observer columnist Geof Brown wrote in his comments on the article: "Such may fail to see that pride in one's race and concern for its well-being do not exclude mutual dependency for mutual benefit."

This year is observed in Ethiopia as Year 2000, the Millenium Year. Those who live by the teachings of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I can do no better than to heed his words. One love.

I am, etc.,

BARBARA MAKEDA

Source: The Gleaner

Messages In This Thread

Forgive slavery, forget reparations *LINK*
to clarrify... *LINK*
Re: to clarrify...
Pleae do not ask us to forget History
I give thanks, Baba Ras Marcus!!! *NM*
Re: I give thanks, Baba Ras Marcus!!!
Re: Pleae do not ask us to forget History
Re: Rosalind
in other words, Rosalind...up yours!!!
Hotep Isciple... *NM*
when did rosalind EVER show anger to you?
To Rosalind
Re: To Rosalind
The Myth of Universal Patriarchy
Re: Forgive slavery, forget reparations *LINK*
Repatriation and Reparation Is International
Re: Repatriation and Reparation Is International
Re: Repatriation and Reparation Is International

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com