HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The Subtle Racism of Latin America

PatriotWarrior picked out one of the quotes that I wanted to develop on. Here are two quotes that I am addressing.

"Moore told the audience that the Northern Europeans, "inventors of Apartheid," have traditionally feared the black person, while Europeans from the Iberian Peninsula, as well as their descendants in Latin America, have no such fear. As he put it, "in the U.S. one drop of black blood makes someone black. In Latin America one drop of white blood makes you white.""

"Moore said there are black-looking Arabs and Latin Americans who consider themselves white because they have some distant white ancestry."

These two quotes are about the same point, and may need some more reasoning to make sense of it.

While Blacks look at mixed people differently, they were not considering these light-skin people as Whites. Many do not consider them Black either.

In Venezuela where I looked at this, the term 'Black' took on a class meaning as it related to all non-whites (who are also generally poor) and had some recent Black African ancestry. So Black was not generally relating to the color of the recently mixed person but was making a statement about the class and the economic situation of the person. While Whites would generally class all people who had some recent Black ancestry as Black, Black people were viewing the situation somewhat differently. In certain cases, Blacks would consider non-whites to be 'Black', but that is usually in the context of making a political statement about the economic/class situation and drawing on the situation as it affects non-whites for support. They were using 'Black' in a way to mean non-white and poor.

I witnessed mixed light-skin Venezuelans who consider themselves more socially aware, refer to themselves as 'Black'. But these people looked quite white with all the known white features. So I guess they had some recent Black African ancestry and were not wealthy.

Generally speaking, because the few Venezuelan Whites who do not have recent Black African ancestry are wealthy, and most non-whites are poor, discussions about racism are generally dominated by the effects of the system on light-skin mixed folks, while not getting to the extent of the effects of racism/colorism on dark-skin Blacks.

I feel that people's idea of racial groupings have been skewed as it relates to being Black African. I do not consider most light-skin, mixed people to be Black and/or Black African. I think they are light-skin mixed and should be dealt with as such. By including so many different types of non-whites into the concept of 'Black' and Black African by race, racism and colorism as they affect people who are dark-skin Black in complexion are not kept in focus. The discourse on racism is usually dominated by those who the system does not negatively impact the most.

Messages In This Thread

The Subtle Racism of Latin America *LINK*
ayinde, i retract that last question
Re: ayinde, i retract that last question
The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only skin deep
Re: The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only
The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
Re: The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
You will have the last word.
Re: You will have the last word.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com