HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!

When you first took offense to that specific part of the post, had you spelled out that you had issues with it because you are light skin and felt what was being said was a way of excluding you, you certainly could have saved your self much aggravation. Instead you resorted to what came over like ‘mysterious’ or ‘tough guy chatter’.

This is not the first time that I have stated that I find the discourse on racism is usually dominated by those who the system does not negatively impact the most. The racism discourse being dominated by light skin, mixed and Whites is not only related to this website, but all the print and electronic media that I have observed, even Black focused media (the personnel who shape the discussions are usually not dark-skin Blacks). We have taken a special focus to help address that imbalance.

You have misinterpreted that comment using an isolated method. The evidence for this is the fact that in practice, there are light-skin folks who engage these issues all the time. No one EVER told them that they should not be part of these discussions as it definitely involves them.

Certainly when we were speaking of colorism as is practiced among Blacks, Whites should know to keep out. It is not appropriate for any and everyone to jump in every debate. Some debates are about Black people working out issues. Leslie expressed additional well founded views on an extended definition to colorism which I am seriously considering.

To the point, I showed that my statement was never intended to what you interpreted it to mean. I was being more specific for clarification when I said, “I believe it is almost impossible to have a discussion about anything on these forums among dark-skin Blacks only as there are few dark-skin Blacks on these forums in the first place.”

I actually prefer no support to bad support, so it is useless claiming to agree with aspects of my position only to display typical White insensitivity and disrespect to the Black skin complexion.

You can assume that people understand colorism exists and that leadership should be well informed, but from numerous comments made on this board, I know that some people use any unqualified statement to distract from this and other serious issues. So although I have repeated time and time again that WELL INFORMED or conscious dark-skin Blacks are best suited to lead Black Movements, there are some posters on this board who continually try to slander, mislead and distract from that assertion by insinuating that I mean any uninformed dark-skin Black is best suited to lead.

You made the clichéd allegation, “leadership complexion maybe a humble start but we must never forget that much like beauty,...it's only skin deep.” This statement, which trivializes the complexion of dark-skin Blacks, was careless in my view. I have always said that well informed or conscious dark-skin Blacks are best suited to lead Black movements so there was no need for you to trivialize the complexion of Black leadership if you really understood that such leadership had to be well informed.

Messages In This Thread

The Subtle Racism of Latin America *LINK*
Re: The Subtle Racism of Latin America
ayinde, i retract that last question
Re: ayinde, i retract that last question
The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only skin deep
Re: The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only
The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
You will have the last word.
Re: You will have the last word.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com