Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The Subtle Racism of Latin America

Greetings Eja,

HONOUR

No, I wasn’t referring to the thread you mentioned “Levels of blame/guilt”. To tell the truth, I don’t even remember having read such a thread; I think I do read ALL the threads you start, as long as I see them, but the thread you refer to could have been in the time I was away (June 23-August 10), I don’t know if that’s so. The thread I was referring to, if you’d like to know, is “Why Do Black Rastafarian Men Date White Women?” and I was talking about some of the replies some people gave there … (http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/archive1/config.pl?read=53221).

Yes, Eja, it is generally agreeable that a mixed-race child “with an African mother would be more likely to retain links with African cultures”; just generally (since mothers are the first teachers), but we have to consider the context in which I passed that remark. Let’s remember that Moore wrote: “Mixed race children from white fathers and dark mothers were totally accepted into society …. In each generation males are expected or permitted to marry females of their own skin color or darker”; one sentence earlier in the article, Moore mentions about a “ “racial philosophy of eugenics" that encourages a "unilateral … sexual commingling between white [or light skinned] males and the females of the physically conquered and socially inferior race ….”

“physically conquered and socially inferior race …”: That’s the key issue there.

It would seem to me that the whole environment of such interracial mating—of which, historically, millions of examples abound—would be such that the scales are tipped AGAINST the black spouse and against Afrikan culture, and I wonder where the black woman falling for such an arrangement would find the energy to instil Afrikan culture into her offspring from; definitely not from her Afrika-hating husband and at least not with his blessings. But, again, that’s too general. The reality I think is that the children themselves would eventually grow in an environment that negates Afrikan culture on the whole, and into a world that straight away disregards black people. WE SEE IT HAPPENING EVERYDAY. And who even says EVERY black woman falling for such an arrangement—that clearly insults her own culture—is “strong” enough to instil Afrikan culture into her children? Wouldn’t such a woman probably have her own hatred for Afrikan culture, or her own colour complexes, thereby distancing herself from anything Afrikan as far away as possible? Don’t we see these examples everyday: Mixed-race children, regardless of who’s black between their parents, denying their Afrikan heritage? Don’t you think there is probably a bigger influence out there that helps shape up the minds of such children, sooner or later?

I can expand more on this, but let me first hear what you say.

Messages In This Thread

The Subtle Racism of Latin America *LINK*
ayinde, i retract that last question
Re: ayinde, i retract that last question
The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only skin deep
Re: The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only
The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
Re: The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
You will have the last word.
Re: You will have the last word.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com