HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The Subtle Racism of Latin America

"Moore told the audience that the Northern Europeans, "inventors of Apartheid," have traditionally feared the black person, while Europeans from the Iberian Peninsula, as well as their descendants in Latin America, have no such fear. As he put it, "in the U.S. one drop of black blood makes someone black. In Latin America one drop of white blood makes you white.""

"Moore said there are black-looking Arabs and Latin Americans who consider themselves white because they have some distant white ancestry."

--These two quotes are about the same point, and may need some more reasoning to make sense of it.--

indeed, there is some accuracy to these quotes as it pertains to and from the perspective of those "mixed" souls who consider themselves white even while being brown skinned and having nappy hair, fr example the Dominican Republic, who share the island of Hispaniola with Haiti, many of these brothers and sisters would literally come to blows if addressed as Black or Afrikan, even while living in Jersey or New York, many have come to a new consciousness , especially the youth but the attitudes and perceptions expressed by Moore do exist, at least from the perspective of those individuals in question. on the other hand i think whites from Latino America and El Caribe do not harbor such notions of inclusivity, they discretely , and often times overtly display a disdain for any racial equality let alone mixing, at least in terms of reproducing children. as Moore points out, though sexual intercourse between white males and females of color is an everyday occurance, i would add with distincly differing attitudes between the two parties, namely, the white male purely for sexual gratification only, unless of course the woman is wealthy or from a wealthy family or famous as a celebrity , etertainer, kwk, and the woman of color from the perspective of "ADELANTANDO LA RAZA" a little ditty of spanish speaking blacks, browns, mulatos on down, of "MOVING THE RACE FORWARD"., whereby we continue to marry lighter and lighter and lighter until we can marry white and finally eliminate all traces of Afrikan blood from the family tree. this is in full practice today as i write this. there is even a saying amongst some brothers of Afrikan descent " Pa' Negro Yo " ! , meaning literally ..." for Black, me" or in other words, " i'll take no woman darker than me".

these are the unspeakable things which permeate the minds of many people of clearly Afrikan descent in Latino America and El Caribe. this phenomenon is not the exclusive domain of light-skinned folks but inclusive of all.

whites in these southern countries, joke and make sport with glee at the expence of the light skinned ones who before consciousness arrives consider themselves white and expect the same treatment and privilages as their white counterparts and if the person of the inside joke is brown skinned they howl even moreso. it's an ungoing affair probably as old as their first mulato or mestizo born to this world.

ayinde, do you feel then from your closing statement that light skinned folks should just make a new race or classification and cease clompletely from addressing themselves as descendants of Afrikan blood?

Messages In This Thread

The Subtle Racism of Latin America *LINK*
ayinde, i retract that last question
Re: ayinde, i retract that last question
The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only skin deep
Re: The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only
The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
Re: The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
You will have the last word.
Re: You will have the last word.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com