HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The Subtle Racism of Latin America

“Moore asserts that racial mixing was a very normal occurrence in the Arab world; socially acceptable racial mixing, however, only goes in one direction. Moore postulates the existence in Latin America of a "racial philosophy of eugenics" that encourages a "unilateral … sexual commingling between white [or light skinned] males and the females of the physically conquered and socially inferior race. … Mixed race children from white fathers and dark mothers were totally accepted into society, according to Moore. In each generation males are expected or permitted to marry females of their own skin color or darker."
/End QUTE

That’s an interesting observation.

Judging from part of what has been discussed in some past threads on this forum, some of which I was involved in, I think some black people (at least even here on these forums) would seem to (indirectly) “support” that very idea of one-direction racial mixing: that it wouldn’t be as much a “sin” when the mother of a mixed-race child is black as it would be perceived as being if the roles were swapped (the other way round). I for one have always looked at racial mixing as racial mixing, irrespective of which parent is black/Afrikan or white/other in any interracial relationship, and irrespective also of if the product of any interracial mixing is male/female. Clearly, each case is individual, and it is a mistake to take for granted or assume, as some people carelessly do, that a mixed-race child having a black mother “has better chances” of retaining the African identity than when the mother were non-black. The quoted passages from the article prove exactly just how flawed that logic can be.

I think most of the “CONFUSION” inherent in Afrikan/black racial classification & identity is caused—or can best be explained—by the following:

“Moore told the audience that the Northern Europeans, “inventors of Apartheid," have traditionally feared the black person, while Europeans from the Iberian Peninsula, as well as their descendants in Latin America, have no such fear. As he put it, "in the U.S. one drop of black blood makes someone black. In Latin America one drop of white blood makes you white."”

Messages In This Thread

The Subtle Racism of Latin America *LINK*
ayinde, i retract that last question
Re: ayinde, i retract that last question
The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only skin deep
Re: The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only
The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
Re: The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
You will have the last word.
Re: You will have the last word.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com