HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Ethiopian Christianity
In Response To: Ethiopian Christianity ()

Christianized Ethiopia is of ancient vintage, being one of the earliest Christian African countries even before Egypt in the era of the Coptics.
-
true
______
The earliest Christian crusades that massacred thousands of non-Christians throughout Europe and many other parts of the world saw Ethiopians soldiers and generals joining the ranks of European monarchs and generals defending the cause of Christianity.
_____
while i would agree that there were countless crusades by uropean christions that did in fact kill thousands of people. ethiopian monarchy's were no exception at times during their history where they killed their own countrymen in the 'cause of trying to spread christianity.
i would add though that unfortunately people nd leaders of all faiths have engaged in war, in defense of or to 'advance' or make people believe how they do.

for example during the year ad 842, during the reign of King Anbessen Weddem, there was a well documented persecution of Christian people in Ethiopia, by a female warrior named Yodit. All members of the reigning Christian dynasty were killed, except for the child, Anbessa Weddem.

-regarding this statement that you made, I would suggest that you do a little more research:

"Similarly there are stories of European explorers searching for the ancient Christina kingdom of the mythical “Prestor John” who they believed to have existed somewhere in India or Ethiopia."
-------
You speak of Emporer Lebna. He was no 'mythical figure,' he was known to the uropeans as Prester John. Emporer Lebna Dengel reigned Ethiopia during the years of 1520-1527. I would also note that he was only 12 years old when he ascended the throne. However, since he was a minor, his grandmother Empress Elini ruled and was responsible for the governance of the country.
-------
please provide evidence ascribed to this statement:
"Some also record several visits of the Knights Templar who established links with Ethiopian monarchs and noblemen and carried over many of the ideas of badges of chivalry and knighthood that could have been a European forerunner to the lodges and so called “secret societies” of the free masons."
------
regarding your staement below, I must say that you are very wrong and misinformed:

"Furthermore, during the many periods of Muslim incursions into Christian Ethiopia especially in the 1400’s and 1500’s, Portuguese soldiers came to the defense of this ancient Christian kingdom to repel the ‘heathen’ invaders."
----
i would assert again that this staement is wrong and extremely misleading. Empress Elini, grandmother of Emporer Lebna Dengel, did in fact contact the King of Portugal, who she hoped would help fortify Ethiopia against it's then adversary Turkey. She did seek to form a military alliance and with a neighboring Christian power-and that power was Portugal.

the portugeese mission arrived in ethiopia in 1520. Francisco Alvarez was the head of this mission. THIS is what must be noted Lebna Dengel and Empress Elini were greatly dissapointed that the Portugeese did not supply military equipment or soldiers-the Portugeese came to attempt to persuade Lebna Dengel and Empress Elini to renounce their religion, become catholic and cooperate with Portugal in the case that Portugal went to war with Egypt. Of course the Emporer and Empress refused Portugal overtures. there is much more to be said about this but i will refrain from going into more deatil now.

now this:
"What I am really trying to establish here, are the ancient links between the Ethiopian monarchy, nobility and Europe."
------
please detail with facts these links that you speak of.

and:
"This is of course in the midst of the continuing oppression of the other indigenous non-Christian groups that also existed in Ethiopia."

i am thinking (correct me if im wrong) that you are still referring to the time of Lebna Dengel, (who you refer to as Prester John) in you above statement. The "oppression," that you speak of that was committed by Ethiopian Christians at this time is evvident where?

It is very evident though, that one of these non-christian indigenous ethiopians, by the name of ahmad gran-an ethiopian moslem from harrar, assisted by fellow islamacistattacked and pillaged land, churches monasteries etc, during the approximate years of 1528-40.

i will continue later responding to the remaining allegations.

bless

Messages In This Thread

Ethiopian Christianity
Re: Half-Truths
Re: Ethiopian Christianity *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com