HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Ethiopian Christianity
In Response To: Re: Ethiopian Christianity ()

It is important to seperate MY view from that of the one espoused by Yan. I responded in another post with this - perhaps it will give you a better idea of where I am coming from.

"I have held to the idea that it was in fact the ties that Ethiopia held with the nobility in Europe that allowed her to remain relatively independent in the face of much of the colonization of the rest of the continent. It allowed Ethiopia to call in the assistance of the British and others when faced with Italian aggression.

I do not however think that this clouds the symbolic nature of Abyssinia/Ethiopia in the greater picture though. Indeed, would Haile Selassie even have been in the POSITION to call for an Organization of African Unity if it were not for these ties that allowed some autonomy of policy initiation whereas other nations in Africa may not have been allowed this freedom. We do not know either how constrained Haile Selassie was by the arrangements with Europe in his efforts for an independent Africa. I feel Haile Selassie still stands as a very strong symbol of dignity despite historical circumstance."

I do not overs why it is of such an importance to neglect the fact that Haile Selassie I and other Emperors of Abyssinia/Ethiopia had ties to Europe and elsewhere through orders of nobility. Ethiopia indeed played a part in the geo-political and religious territorial battles which occured during the time of the spread of Islam - it would make sense that a Christian nation such as Ethiopia would maintain alliances with other Christian countries in Europe that continued since the time of the Crusades. Ethiopia/Abyssinia has strategically used alliances such as these to maintain a relatively independent status.

"youve yet to verify any relationship with the Ethiopian and uropean monarchies except for a one year allegiance with portugal in 1541."

Haile Selassie titles of nobility:

1930 - 1974 H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I, Elect of God, Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah and King of Kings of Ethiopia, KG (14.10.1954), GCB (c 8.7.1924), GCMG (24.4.1917), GCVO (30.10.1930), Royal Victorian Chain (30.10.1930). b. at Ejersa Goro, Harar, 23rd July 1892 as Lij Tafari Makonnen, educ. Menelik II Sch., Addis Ababa. Granted the title of Dejazmatch, 1st November 1905. Governor of Garra Muleta 1905-1906, Salala 1906-1908, Derasa 1908-1910, and Harar 1910-1915, and of Kaffa 1915-1916. Raised to the title of Le'ul (Prince), with the style of His Highness, 11th February 1917. Appointed as Heir Apparent and Supreme Regent with the title of Ras, 27th September 1918. Raised to the title of Negus (King) with the style of His Majesty and Crowned by the Empress Zauditu at the Church of the Holy Trinity, Addis Ababa, 7th October 1928. Proclaimed as King of Kings on the death of Empress Zauditu, 3rd April 1930. Crowned at St George's Cathedral, Addis Ababa, 2nd November 1930. Deposed in favour of his eldest son, 12th September 1974. Field Marshal in the British Army, 1st February 1965. Sovereign of the Orders of the Seal of Solomon, Queen of Sheba, Menelik II, and the Star of Ethiopia. Founded the Orders of Solomon and the Holy Trinity in 1930. Rcvd: GC of the Order of the Seal of Solomon (11.2.1917), Knt. of the Orders of the Annunziata of Italy (1928), Golden Lion of the House of Nassau of Luxembourg (25.5.1924), Elephant of Denmark (x.11.1954), Seraphim of Sweden (10.6.1924, collar 15.11.1954), and Maha Chakri of Thailand (1958), the Riband of the Three Military Orders of Christ, Benedict of Aviz and St James of the Sword of Portugal, the Grand Collar of the Orders of the Aztec Eagle of Mexico (1954), Pahlavi of Iran (14.9.1964), the Liberator San Martin of Argentina, the Nile of the Republic of Egypt, and Pius IX of the Vatican (1970), the Collar of the Orders of the Muhammad 'Ali of Egypt (30.10.1930, GC 3.5.1924), Idris I of Libya, Chrysanthemum of Japan (19.11.1956, GC 30.10.1930), Independence of Tunisia, Hussein ibn 'Ali of the Jordan, and Muhammad of Morocco, the Chain of Honour of the Sudan, the Grand Order of the Hashimites of Iraq, GC of the Orders of the Legion of Honour of France (16.5.1924, GO 1918), SS Maurice & Lazarus (18.5.1924), and the Crown of Italy (1917), Leopold of Belgium (mil.) (22.5.1924), Redeemer of Greece (19.8.1924), the Tower & Sword for Valour, Loyalty and Merit of Portugal (1925), Willem (3.11.1954) and the Netherlands Lion (7.10.1930), Polonia Restituta of Poland (30.10.1930), St Olav of Norway with collar (22.3.1949), Carlos III of Spain with collar, the White Rose of Finland with collar, National Merit of Vietnam (1958), Truth (Agga Maha Thiri Thudhamma) of Burma (1958), Southern Cross of Brazil with collar (4.7.1958), Leopard of Zaire with collar, Lion of Senegal, Lion of Malawi, Valour of the Cameroun, the Sun of Peru, the Bust of the Liberator Simon Bolivar with collar of Venezuela, Condor of the Andes of Bolivia, Propitious Clouds of China special grade, Oummaya of Syria, Mono of Togo, Congolese Merit of the Congo, Leopard of Somalia (1960), Equatorial Star of Gabon, the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Source of the Nile of Uganda (1972), Eagle of Zambia, and of the Orders of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany special class (1954), Republic of Italy with collar (21.10.1955), of the Lebanon special class, Chile with collar, Central Africa, and Upper Volta, and of the National Orders of Chad, Benin, Mali with collar, Madagascar, Mauritania, Guinea, and the Niger, and of the National Order of Honour and Merit of Haiti (24.4.1966), Knt. G Band of the Order of the Pioneers of Liberia, G Chief of the Order of the Golden Heart of Kenya (1966), Chief Cdr. of the Legion of Merit of the USA (1945), the Grand Star of the Decoration of Honour for Merit of Austria (1954), the Star of the Republic of Indonesia 1st class (Adipurna) (1958), Raja of the Order of Sikatuna of the Philippines (1958), Cdr. of the Order of the Shield & Spears of Buganda (17.6.1964), and the Orders of the White Lion 1st class with collar (mil) of Czechoslovakia, the Yugoslavian Grand Star (21.7.1954), Pakistan 1st class (Hilal-i-Pakistan) (1958), State Crown of Malaysia (DMN) (1958), King Abdul Aziz 1st class of Saudi Arabia, Star of Ghana (1970), the Banner of the People's Republic of Hungary 1st class with diamonds (1964), etc. Dr Hons causa Univs of Oxford, Cambridge, Athens and Moscow, Hon. Fellow SOAS, London Univ. m. (first) Woizero Altayech.

Messages In This Thread

Ethiopian Christianity
Re: Half-Truths
Re: Ethiopian Christianity *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com