HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Addressing Istory on the Speaks
In Response To: Re: Excellent Insight Thanks ()

I have pulled up several converstions and links that pertain to colorism, when I spoke candidly with Ayinde, Tyehimba, Bantu Kelani, Baba Marcus and others regarding this topic. I observed only one moment where I think that my response could be judged as dismissive - that being a response I gave to Tyehimba in regards to an article posted in Glamour magazine, at the time, my initial response was framed based on the title of the magazine, "Glamour." In that respect I will admit that my tone could be viewed as potentially - dismissive, but I think it is far from being hostile.

As I think, if you or others take the time to read, most of my rasponses were shaped by my own experiences - and where I disagreed, I tried to maintain a respectful acknowledgement of others viewpoints:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/archive1/config.pl?read=46742

Reasoning with Baba Marcus Re: Coloursim

http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/repatriation/index.cgi?noframes;read=33220

Reasoning w/ Bantu Kelani (when I posted as RasIfree)

+++++++++++++++++++
Reasoning w/ Ayinde 2003: I posted as RasIfree

I think that the topic does nothing to bring forth unity in the race-but instead it is another topic that is meant to engage in outlining our differnces and not focusing on our similarities, which would invaribly lead to to the common destination of liberation. the i suffer more than you vibe is a dead vibe. we all suffer in babylon.

my brother and i have differnt fathers, he is lighter than me, about will smith's color. i am dark.
in some environments, i might think that his lighter skin may be of benefit to him (although i cannot think of that environment). I have locks, my brotheer is bald. In some environments, i would be greeted with more warmth and/or acceptance than him, because I am a locksman.
so there are instances in every situation where one can focus on a physical characteristic and utilize that characteristic to symbolize some level of perceived oppresion because of that trait.
it is not because of lack of character, that i dont agree w/ your reasonings-it is the timeliness of the topic that is distracting to Africans. There are soooo many differences that we share, but above all of those differences we are African. The day that we embrace both our humanity and ethnicity, and learn to celebrate our differences, while finding strength in our similarities-that will be a defining day in the quest for AFRICAN SOLIDARITY.
btw-what do you think of Cornell West, a light skin AFRICAN LEADER & Pan African Scholar?

http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/repatriation/index.cgi?noframes;read=33251

+++++++++++++++++++
Posted By: Ayinde
Date: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, at 1:17 p.m.

In Response To: Skin tone more important for African Americans *LINK* (Ras Tyehimba)

If anyone thinks colorism is an overblown issue and is not a major issue in the US they should at least consider this research.

===========
Posted By: rasi
Date: Wednesday, 16 August 2006, at 2:48 p.m.

In Response To: Skin tone more important for African Americans *LINK* (Ras Tyehimba)

good article and research.

the points raised, are very similar to the idea that dark skin is more imporatant when leading african-centered orgainizations. both ideas focus on skin color as a primary factor when determining suitability for a job/position
++++++++++++++++

Re: Melanin gives Black people superior physical,

Date: Sunday, 26 February 2006, at 9:58 p.m.

In Response To: Melanin gives Black people superior physical, ment (Bantu-Kelani)

How can we use these abilities to build tangible infrastructure: educational facilities, hospitals, etc. How can the common existence of melanin be used as a bridge to bring about truth and reconcilliation amongst Africans in the Diaspora and at home?
http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/archive1/config.pl?read=69517

+++++++++++++
A post that I started on colorism:
Colorism: Harry Belafonte
http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/archive1/config.pl?read=68590

statement made by be in 2006 - in same thread:
Re: Colorism: Harry Belafonte

Date: Friday, 10 February 2006, at 12:00 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Colorism: Harry Belafonte (Ras Joe)

No offense taken-the reason for my inquiry was based on many thought provoking discussions that have taken place on this forum in respect to colorism. There is an article on the home page of the site which interviewed Mr Belafonte-and I was curious to differing individuals perspective on the issue.

Messages In This Thread

Some Observations and Thoughts
Re: Some Observations and Thoughts
"personal playground"
I respectfully and patiently await your response..
truth, but my question is...
Re: truth, but my question is...
simon I
WHEN THE I's GONNA TAKE THIS TO THE NEXT LEVEL'S?
Re: WHEN THE I's GONNA TAKE THIS TO THE NEXT LEVEL
Re: Excellent Insight Thanks
word/power to the acknowledgment, rasi *NM*
Since 2002 you mean. *NM*
Re: Since 2002 you mean.
Thank you Ayinde *NM*
Just a "holla"
Thank you *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com