AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: The Church of Haile Selassie I *LINK*

***As a Rasta yourself, how do you feel being discriminated against in the workplace, and having your children turned down from entering school? Yet Jewish kids, Muslim kids, and Christian kids get a free unharrassed pass through the educational system.

What are your thought on this?***

I work in the Black community organization and noone bothers me too much about the way I dress or cover my head. People ask questions and I answer them...

My son has experienced harrassment at school and a few years ago specifically re wearing his tam, --I took it to the school board and the school backed right off.

I sight the general idea of wanting to have Rastafari recognized as a religion in order to try to InI selves and children, but I do overstand exactly what Selassielive is saying. I visited the website of the church where you got the description you posted.

The description of the church places the source of InI elders' wisdom in England of all places, and in European institutions of mis-education. The implication for I when I read your post, was that InI were lost and then British immigration policy and European academia saved us.

BTW, you forgot to answer my question of what is your relationship/ affiliation with the church.

For I the glory of InI movement especially in the 1930s in Jamaica, was the manner in which Rastafari assisted in the cultural decolonization of InI selves and the Jamaican people overall, through insisting on an AFRICAN worldview and cultural pride, despite and thus launching a challenge to the hegemony the British colonizers.
I do not sight that InI were saved by Eurocentric mis-education, although I recognize that denying the African's right to ANY education was characteristic of the British colonies.

On the website for the church, there is a page that addresses women specifically, and yet doesn't mention Empress Menen and her important works.

In the claim that ***The command, 'be fruitful and multiply', establishes the role of the Woman in the Divine plan of JAH.*** and the discussion that follows, I do not see a reflection of InI revolutionary grandmothers and mothers and sisters who have done other things, in addition to and besides giving birth, that have worked towards the liberation of Africans everywhere.

I find the statement telling: ***Woman has a very important position in the annals of Rastafarianism and Rastalogy; the reason being; it was the visit of the Queen of Sheba of Ethiopia to King Solomon of Jerusalem which established the present Dynasty of Emperor Haile Selassie I through Prince Menelik I, Son of King Solomon and Queen of Sheba.***

The suggestion to I is that women's importance is based on the role of an important woman, the Queen of Sheba, in establishing the Solomonic dynasty. I feel that the importance of womenn extends much farther and wider than one woman's choice of partner, no disrespect intended.

I also disagree that ***The continuity of the religious faith of the Rastafarians could not survive the 21st Century without a centralized
way of worship, the Crowning Glory of the Faith of Rasta.***
Why would ones genuinely think that Rastafari will not survive the 21st without centralized way of worship? In fact, Rastafari has outlasted MANY, many other liberation and theological movements of the first half of the 20th century BECAUSE of the lack of centralization.

Gotta step to work now, will catch up with you later Sis,
Bless

Messages In This Thread

The Church of Haile Selassie I
Re: The Church of Haile Selassie I
IRON, LION , ZION
Re: IRON, LION , ZION
This is for you sistren *NM* *LINK*
Re: This is for you sistren *LINK*
Re: This is for you sistren
Sistren check this out *LINK*
Re: Sistren check this out
Re: Sistren check this out
that's why I linked the webpage
ONE LOVE
selassielive: word/power to the investigations *NM*
HOLY HERB
Re: HOLY HERB
Rasta Elder *LINK*
Rastafari, Haile Selassie & the Bible (2 of 2) *LINK*
Haile Selassie War Speech "Amharic Version" *LINK*
statement of women in Rastalogy
Nyabinghi Chant
Lion Of Judah *NM* *LINK*
This brother overstands *NM* *LINK*
More overstanding from the bredren *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com