HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Questions about Reparations

Greetings, I would like to seriously reason about reparations and global apology to Africa, etc.

I would like to confront my government and society about these issues in the future, but often come upon barriers and lack a full response to those in discussion about it. There are the articles about it etc., but I cannot seem to find answers to the following questions regardless:

1. How can you force people such as your own president & government to apologize. Regardless of the majority population true sentiments, it is those leaders of whom we also did not elect that the apology is being asked from.... in otherwords, how does someone organize a unified apology in a world of billions of people? I am not saying its not possible, I am asking for anyones reasonings on the subject or if any have ideas how this is possible?

And also if somehow the govt.'s miraculously had enough political pressure put on them to do this, would it be meaningful anyhow? We are no fools. What people feel is what people feel. What people say is what people say. What people do is what people do. It's akin to spending all that energy/resources trying to make a dog look like a cat for a day. And noone believed him anyway.

So then, many realize this, that a true national apology that is truly sincere and actually representing the true thoughts of the majorities masses, most of whom even did not have any literal hand in these crimes and even do not know of them, from any background/color - cannot be accomplished in this way, when even most do not even like their own leaders and are relatively powerless against them as well. so then what?

Then it reasons to be so that it must be backed up with substance other than words, materially so. I listened to the opinions of whites on this subject, of those who are unfamiliar and just offerning theire first relatively uninformed thoughts on it and they often say, well sure, but how? and also many say, well, its terrible and there should be compensation for what happened, but we did not do anything? How do you 'pin down' the actual perpetrators, especially when many are long gone and dead, and the other that are left are these rich powerful often unseen businessmen/politiciansandreligiojus leaders dealing behind the scenes.... and also how to define black? What I mean to ask is how and where would you draw the line as to who gets reparations and who does not? And again, if all this was even accomplished, due to the sad nature of the situation - the truly 'bad guys' would still get away 'in the end.' ... and alot of people who were just born into this who are also in poverty themselves would suffer instead - more than likely never having a racist thought or act in their lives.

These are just some thoughts I have had and also have heard from others. This is not a statement, just reasoning, questioning about this in order to be productive. I am not against reparations or apologies, etc... but these questions, issues and more remains in the way

respect, Heather

Messages In This Thread

Questions about Reparations
Re: Questions about Reparations
No reparations without revolution. *LINK*
Re: No reparations without revolution.
govt.sanctioned testing of genomic archetypes

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com