HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Leading 'La Marcha'
In Response To: Leading 'La Marcha' *LINK* ()

Before I leave this thread, I just wanna share a beautiful story. It was in the late 1990s in Portland Oregon and the beast dem (the Migra AKA I.N.S. in this particular instance) had just brutalized some bruddas who were waiting on a streetcorner to try to earn an honest day's work (and risk getting paid via bouncing check, injured on the job and then dumped on the street, and all the other job risks that being a jornalero AKA day labourer, carries.)
[Incidentally I have also been a day labourer in the united states, although I never waited for work on the same corner as the companeros who got brutalized by the pigs that day. Even if I had been waiting for work on the same corner, and scrambling to jump into the same van, I would never have felt any resentment towards any of the other black and brown people tryina get a job.]
Anyway, cut a long story short, this time when La Migra raided el esquino, we (an organization I was working with) had cameras and videocameras on the ready because we had been hanging out on that corner with cameras and videocameras from 5-10 AM every morning. La Migra was bound to raid one day and so they did, but this time we caught them on camera rubbing people's faces into the concrete and chasing people through traffic and breaking people's noses etc. (Many of these people had the so-called legal right to work in the U.S. anyway - not that I give a flock about babylon legality).
Then, we and other organizations called up our phone and email trees, and within 24 hours, we had 300+ people circling the I.N.S. building in downtown Portland from 7 AM Saturday morning.
Well, during that march, a womban dropped to the ground, clutching her companeras y companeros for support; she was going into convulsions. By the end of that march there was a brand-new baby girl. It goes without saying that there was only one appropriate name for her... "Marcha".

Messages In This Thread

Leading 'La Marcha' *LINK*
Selassie I Know DAT. *NM*
Immigration and America's Bad Karma *LINK*
Help me overstand!!!
African Roots Stretch Deep into Mexico
True *NM*
Re: Help me overstand!!!
Re: Help me at least 'understand'
Psalm 129
Rememba: Miracles R D norm [KaribKween] *NM*
Re: Help me at least 'understand'
Re: Help me overstand!!!
Many blacks support illegal immigrants *LINK*
Who d FLOC wants lo-paid jobs anyway?
PS
Re: Working for Change *LINK*
Re: Working for Change
2005/early 06

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com