HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

All about CONTEXT
In Response To: Re: Skin-Deep Discrimination ()

"I BELIEVE IN A PURE BLACK RACE just as how all self-respecting whites believe in a pure white race, as far as that can be.

I am conscious of the fact that SLAVERY BROUGHT UPON US THE CURSE OF MANY COLOURS within the Negro race, but that is no reason why we of ourselves should perpertuate the evil".

Now I could look on the above quote from the Honourable Marcus Garvey and say that, based on what I have capitalised, the speech as a whole is against mixing. What is a 'bastard'? One who is born OUTSIDE THE NORM of conjugal relationships. Why did he refer to many colours as a curse? Was he being 'divisive'?

The 'as far as that can be' segment I would say is related to the fallacy of a 'pure white race'. Marcus Garvey was a man of great knowledge. Many of the things he said back then have been proven to be fact. The 'white' is the result of a blending of species. There never was and can never be a 'pure white race'. That is why the Honourable Garvey said 'as far as that can be'.

It should be now clear that we can make words mean what ever we want and, a person's favoured definitions often say more about them than they realise.

Messages In This Thread

Marcus Garvey on Colorism?
Skin-Deep Discrimination *LINK*
Re: Skin-Deep Discrimination
Re:after reading again
All about CONTEXT

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com