ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz *LINK*

In one of my earler contributions "No Colorless Rasta Movement"
http://www.rastaspeaks.com/articles/18082003.html
August 18, 2003
I said:

"So on the basis of Merit in a Black Earth Movement that is supposed to address these issues, we should all be looking at helping the worst victims get better informed and then helping them to come forward and advance the cause (once they are interested) as they are suitably qualified, armed with both the experiences and information which is widely accessible today."

On the thread "Barbados: White Rasta director of African Affairs"
http://www.rastafarispeaks.com/cgi-bin/forum/archive1/config.pl?read=467 33
November 13, 2004
I said:

"If everyone considers supporting people whom they perceive as being more affected by the ills in a system, and helping them forward to lead the struggle for reform, then that is revolutionary. This way the worst victims of the system get the support needed to build confidence, and to articulate their own issues, and of course, the material rewards and recognition for so doing."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

An important part of what I am advocating that gets lost by knee-jerk responses is the cultivation of the revolutionary attitude whereby people who feel they are better informed or more advanced start supporting those whom they feel are the worst victims, and help them forward to articulate the issues and lead the struggle for reform. This would allow a shift where people will look to others who suffer more than them and build from there. This would also allow the worst victims to receive whatever recognition and benefits that comes from the struggle, and it allows more serious victims to build confidence, get exposure, and whatever financial benefits that goes with leadership. It also allows layers of negative discrimination associated with how they look to remain center stage.

I am more interested in shifting the general attitude from one where people who feel they are better informed or better off continually go after leadership, personal fame and fortune to one that is truly supportive of the worst victims. This would allow the worst victims to rise and be the decision makers in how the move to help themselves progress.

In every movement there will be financial controllers, final decision makers and those who frame policies. Usually these people get the most exposure and credit for any 'positives' the movement makes. They are also usually financially rewarded in those positions. Usually the focus in a movement shifts when these people's comfort levels are met. I am saying a sustained campaign based on a shift in focus would leave more of the worst victims holding these positions and getting the benefits. It would ensure that more and more levels of the worst victims are being encouraged to move ahead to keep their experiences of the issues center stage. It would also mean that the worst victims have to take responsibility for how the development goes and it will temper real or imaginary perception that things are being badly done because of inexperienced leadership (people who do not experience the full effect of poor decisions).

I have tremendous respect for Malcolm X, but in my view he too lacked depth in many areas and was a little deluded (we can develop this in another discussion some other time). This does not take away from the positive impact he had on many, and it does not diminish the respect I have for him.

I stayed in the USA for a while and I have children there. Although colorism seems to be less an issue when dealing with white cops, it is an issue even in the ghetto. It is not as obvious to many because Blacks in the USA are dealing with an overwhelming majority of whites, and that takes center focus. But by not examining the colorism issue they are not sustaining a strong struggle. Generally speaking those who are lighter in complexion and have straighter hair and noses, get more attention, and are preferred by the system/media. They are preferred by even poor dark-skinned blacks. They are more likely to get out of economic poverty based on the general preference for lighter shades. Even in the USA black parents show preference for children who have straighter hair and lighter complexion. So it is also an issue in the USA.

I am reposting a link to one of the articles I am impressed with on this issue.

Colorism: The paper bag test
By BILL MAXWELL, Times Staff Writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published August 31, 2003
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/31/Columns/The_paper_bag_test.shtml

Messages In This Thread

Light Skin vs Dark Skin???
Re: Light Skin vs Dark Skin??? *LINK*
Re: Light Skin vs Dark Skin???
Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz
Re: Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz *LINK*
Re: Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com