HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Light Skin vs Dark Skin??? *LINK*
In Response To: Light Skin vs Dark Skin??? ()

Wha appnin bredren
Yeah I sight what you are saying, I have said so myself on here. But I sight where the people talking bout colorism are coming from as well. In general I think in the u.s., the "one drop" rule of blackness is more in operation... if you look at all Black regardless whether light or dark skin, you will catch it from babylon, in the caribbean, there is more of a caste like system based on skin color. But even in the U.S. you can see that in operation, check all the Black people who only want to date lighter-skinned members of the opposite sex for instance... I don't have time to right now but I could give you nuff examples of colorism within the Black community in the u.s. still, that I have personally experienced or know about... as a general rule, you could say that the darker skinned you are, the more hell you gone tend to catch, all other things being equal. memba I said a general rule, not saying it applies in every case. I don't think the people talking about colorism are really trying to create divisions, rather they are shining a light on the divisions that already exist so we could overcome them. Maybe the point doesn't always come across properly but that is where I think they're coming from. Maybe if you reason out this issue with them you could come to a common overstanding. Well that is just a quick two cents. PS I am also a lighter skinned brother, and have stayed in several "hoods" in ameriKKKa, I grew up in Guyana.

Messages In This Thread

Light Skin vs Dark Skin???
Re: Light Skin vs Dark Skin??? *LINK*
Re: Light Skin vs Dark Skin???
Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz
Re: Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz *LINK*
Re: Malcolm X/ El Hajj Malik El Shabazz

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com