Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: To: Ayinde
In Response To: Re: To: Ayinde ()

First, let me say that it appears that I may have "stepped in it" in some way. Unless I'm missing something I don't see a post on this thread by Sis Kelani. I have been away from the board for some time, and may have missed some ongoing issues. If that is the case I apologize right off.

Let me also say, since I have been away, that I am seen a "white" by most African Americans, and therefore many but not all "whites". In the area I grew up, I was seen as "hispanic" as the only people considered "white" were blondes with blue eyes.

I appreciate your frank and well-thought out opinions that I have seen so far. At this juncture I agree with you when you assert the fact that "color issues" or "colorism" must be discussed. I do believe that so many people are unaware of true prejudice that they have no notion of what it is like. The only way people in the US can heal any of the past 400 years (at minimum) is to honestly discuss and confront the truth.

I do believe that it is more productive to reason respectfully on both sides. There is a part of me that wishes we could all "just get along" but until the social and economic battlefields have been made equal, and the truths have been accepted that is unlikely to occur.

What I meant when I said to "give the sister a break" was the phenomena that I have so often seen in light-skinned or liberal whites of total shock when something even remotely resembling racism occurs. It does show their total lack of experience in the arena. I do however, think that it is a good thing, because while that person has not "walked a mile" in a more "dark-skinned" persons shoes, it gives them something with which to begin to feel empathy. Maybe this is a bit altruistic. However, ignorance is based on the lack of knowledge. Wisdom is produced through experience. It is true that some people want to share their experiences to feel some connection, but I am uncertain if this is always a bad thing.

My grand-parents on both sides immigrated here, in the late 1800's and early 1900's from south eastern europe. They were gypsy. The gypsy were considered the "n-word" of Europe, as they have been traced back to the "brown" world of India, were nomadic in nature, and had little desire to assimilate with the dominant white culture. That alone was enough to brand them outcasts.

Do I know what it was like to be a slave? No. Do I see every day that people of color are persecuted, prosecuted, funded, hired, fired, etc. differently based on the "shade" of their skin, and the "grade" of their hair? Of course. My children's father is from the Caribbean. Do I remind my son that is approaching 18 that to the cops he is a black man, and therefore is likely to be subject to more scrutiny than most? I sure do. I do raise my children, to know that how they see themselves is not always the same as how the society at large will see them.

If my opinion is worth anything, I believe the discussions must continue between all races of people. I believe they must be honest, forthright, and respectful, when possible. I also believe that at the bottom of it, all humanity came out of Africa, and it is time that Africa get her due respect.

Just my two cents.

Rastafari Liveth

Messages In This Thread

Racism Rears It's Ugly Head Once Again!!!!!!!!
Re: Racism Rears It's Ugly Head Once Again!!!!!!!!
HOW IS THIS RACISM IF U R WHITE
Re: HOW IS THIS RACISM IF U R WHITE
To: Ital Stew
Re: To: Ital Stew

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com