Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: To: Ayinde
In Response To: Re: To: Ayinde ()

I started my response with: "You have tapped into the problems many have on most Internet boards that are supposed to be addressing Black/African/Rasta/Rastafari concerns."

I chose to address the broader problem with regards to discussing racism and colorism over the Internet in my response to Ital Stew.

You said: "I think some of you need to give the sister a break."

I don't know what you meant by this, and why wasn’t there a call for her to give Sis Kelani a break. I am certainly not coming down on her, but the 'Sis' has a history on the board prior to Monday, 6 October 2003, and certainly before Thursday, 9 October 2003 where the point of her being White was raised.

A white person presenting a case for racism at the hands of other whites on a Black oriented forum without first declaring that she is white, sounds very subversive to I. Before Thursday, 9 October 2003 and certainly from that initial post, some could have falsely assumed that the 'Sis' was Black or somewhere close in appearance.

The bigger issue of white people claiming racism at the hands of other whites is something they should look at. Whites have always been biased towards other whites; an example is in the preference for blondes as sex objects. This should not be confused with racism although most western biases, way down the road, are connected to attitudes against Blacks.

I can see class divisions and biases in relation to manner of dress, probably someone's idea of tidiness etc., but certainly not racism, especially when the setting is in a restaurant and they may be extra particular about hair and appearances around food add to the fact that the boss is White. If she believes this was tough, I wonder how they would have treated a dark-skinned-kinky-hair-black-African.

I certainly know about dreadlocks and restaurants as I operated several for many years and I deliberately employed many Rastafarians in my attempt to counteract the bias against Rastafarians. I outfitted them differently to other workers and maintained their preferred colors but in a way as not to distract from the general dress code. It was also costly to get special hats made for them that did not make them look silly, while at the same time covering their dreadlocks to meet legitimate health standards.

I also dealt with whites with dreadlocks and saw that they had this problem with their hair not locking properly. Hair would be falling all the time. I certainly would not have had a person with that problem working around food.

From her post, I could deduce many possibilities, but it is only her side of the story that is being presented. Seeing that she did not state that she was White, I am legitimately suspicious of her motives, especially as she had choice words on previous threads for another who was attempting to discuss racism and colorism.

Messages In This Thread

Racism Rears It's Ugly Head Once Again!!!!!!!!
Re: Racism Rears It's Ugly Head Once Again!!!!!!!!
HOW IS THIS RACISM IF U R WHITE
Re: HOW IS THIS RACISM IF U R WHITE
To: Ital Stew
Re: To: Ital Stew

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com