Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: To: Ayinde
In Response To: Re: To: Ayinde ()

I think some of you need to give the sister a break. Unless I read it incorrectly, she did not undermine any of the darker skinned people. She stated an experience as she saw it. While many have made valid points based on their life experiences, I find it shallow to belittle her for stating hers. While I am in no way supporting the color/caste system that exists in the US, do some of you not realize that some "white" folks dislike people of color so much that someone that might be miscontrued in the South for white/high yellow, and therefore could "pass", the same thing if not more dangerous than those that are more directly definable? Before you jump down my throat for using the semantics of definable, what I'm saying is some people are more uncomfortable with "mixed" folks that someone who fits a stereotype. Depending on where you live, and where you have grown up, your idea of racial identify differs. Because an experience is different from your own, does not make it less valid. No they did not put on the KKK hood, but another phenomena that I have seen/experienced is that people of mixed background who wear locks or less revealing clothes can be assumed by a bigot to be Black, whether they are or not. It not always an attempt of dishonesty by the individual, but of pre-judgement by the bigot.

To Sis I: It is my belief that each experience can teach us something. There is good and bad in all jobs. I pray that you will find another that is more to your liking, where they will respect you.

Selah

Messages In This Thread

Racism Rears It's Ugly Head Once Again!!!!!!!!
Re: Racism Rears It's Ugly Head Once Again!!!!!!!!
HOW IS THIS RACISM IF U R WHITE
Re: HOW IS THIS RACISM IF U R WHITE
To: Ital Stew
Re: To: Ital Stew

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com