HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: leviticus, sizzla and capleton

No one person started it, Buju was the first to get major flak for it but that's just cus "Boom Bye Bye" was the first anti-battyman song to hit big outside Jamaica. (A song he wrote when he was 16 by the way). Then, instead of engaging in some kind of dialogue and realizing that Buju was simply reflecting the culture he grew up in, elements of the gay movement in America tried to pin it all on Buju and boycott him and things, which only led to more paranoia from Jamaicans about "Rich Yankee Battymen are trying to suppress us!!", and even more hsotility towards homos. I feel it's been going in a cycle like that. There is an unwillingness on both sides to acknowledge that the other side might actually be just as HUMAN as they are.
Anti-gay sentiments are a deeply embedded part of Caribbean culture in general, and Jamaican culture in particular (I'm not Jamaican and I've never been there, that's just the impression I get from Jamaicans I know and stuff I've heard and read, that Jamaicans tend to be more extreme in their homophobia than, say, Guyanese). I think there are two reasons for this, One: Many (though not all) West African societies considered homos to be "cursed" or whatever, because of the huge importance of passing on your lineage which homos can't do (unless they're bi or they just sex the opposite gender strictly for procreation), and Two: The huge influence of the "Christian" church.

Also, it's kind of a natural reaction for us heterosexuals to see homos as "unnatural", yunno, it's something I could never imagine myself doing and yes I find the very thought of it somewhat disgusting. (Male homo's that is; I don't have the same reaction of disgust to lesbians). However, nobody's forcing me to think about it, and who am I to say that what is natural for me is natural for everyone else? At the end of the day, whether it's a pyschological condition brought about by trauma in youth, or whether certain people are just born with a slightly different wiring in their brain (as some scientific studies seem to indicate)-- or whether re-incarnation could explain why some people feel "trapped in an opposite-gender body"-- regardless, to me it's no justification for irrational hatred. And those who think homos secretly rule the world- that is paranoia, THE RULING CLASS runs the world, and while some of them are faggots, most of them are white, most of them are male, etc., but none of those things are their defining characteristic, their defining characteristic is that they will unite despite their considerable differences to keep us, the "common people", under their boot... perhaps we should take a lesson from them... they don't like each other, but they'll put up a united front against US... it's a LOT more of us than them, but we are not united...

Messages In This Thread

leviticus, sizzla and capleton
Solid Reasoning Star... Give Thanks *NM*
Beats and Lyrics

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com