Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

leviticus, sizzla and capleton

Wassup y'all...
Since I'm stuck here 2nite with this computer, I thought I'd repost something I posted on another message board in response to something... which also has a bearing on previous discussions with Ras Obadiah and others... any responses appreciloved, memba is no disrespek intended to anyone, is opinions gettin exchanged...

LEVITICUS, SIZZLA AND CAPLETON
..... Personally I read the Bible, love the Bible, respect the Bible, but at the same time the Bible is not the be-all and end-all. God didn't sit down and write the Bible, men did. (Probably some women too but they didn't get no credit as usual). So anytime there is a contradiction between what I read in the Bible and waht I know in my heart, I gots to go with my heart, seen. Cos there is a Bible within your heart too.

Now I am not a anti-man by any means, seen, a woman me love (sometimes more than one woman but that is a whole other issue). But when I read something saying I must stone a man or woman to death simply for being gay, I can't go with that. Now if it was a child-molester or a rapist, that's a different story, death to them. But whatever consenting adults want to do is their business. It don't affect me so why should I care about it? [*** a note for d fyah chief who responded to a similar point b4: If you loving more than one woman and you don't know some of them VERY VERY well, and you worried about if they had sex with a bisexual or any kinda sexual person who might carry AIDS, then the solution is to USE PROTECTION whether ya like it or not, cos is not only your life you're playing with, but anybody you ever might sleep with in the future WITHOUT protection.... seen?***]
Everybody is accountable to themselves and to JAH, let JAH judge if it's wrong or right.
Now if you live by the literal word of the Bible then you have to live by all of it, not some of it. So you can't wear mixed fibers, eat of certain things, work on the sabbath, etc. And the same stone you cast on the batty-bwoy, you would have to cast at Bob Marley for being an adulterer.
Do you believe in stoning your children to death if they disobey you? I hope not.
Now on to Capleton and Sizzla. I ain't here to dis them, seen, I actually love plenty of their songs. As an MC I look up especially to Capleton for his stylistic innovations, his style is definitely an influence on me. BUT...
They are completely OBSESSED with the whole "battyman and sodomite" ting!
Now take Anthony B., he makes it clear that he ain't down with homosexuality and he's putting a fiya on Sodom and Gomorrah. But he don't talk about it in virtually every single song, and it's clear (at least to me) that the fiya he is burning is that metaphorical fiya of purification that [somebody on the other message board] speak about. And he spend more of he energy focusing on things like the police, the government and so forth, that's why them punks (and I don't necessarily mean homos by that, I mean weaklings, cowards) that run JA gov't want to ban half he songs.
But when I see Capleton last year in NJ, is like EVERY song is about the battyman, and between every song he talking about them, and his lyrics- metaphorical though they may be- are very graphic on the subject, talking about dismembering people and "all boogaman and sodomite fi get kill" etc. Sizzla got a song where he say "Burn the sorrow, all the problem solved, shot battyman with me revolve." That is called SCAPEGOATING. Blaming somebody relatively weak and powerless for all your problems, when in reality they're being caused by POLITICIANS, POLICE AND BUSINESSMEN, regardless of their sexual orientation. Seen?
I agree with [...] that they probably mean those lyrics metaphorically, but is a lot of young impressionable youth that is influenced by these things and can take it LITERALLY. Not saying those kinda lyrics should be banned or nothing like that, everyone must be completely free to express their opinions, but I'm gonna make mine known as well.
I don't mean to spread no slander, but from seeing him that time it really seem like "the Prophet" have some issues if you know what I mean. Are you familiar with the psychological concept of "projection"? Lashing out at others because you're afraid of something that might be within yourself?
I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just wondering why he keep dwelling on the subject so much. Then again it could be just because that's what plenty people want to hear and they'll pay him to hear it.
While we're on that subject- money- some bredren of mine in the Gambia was trying to get Capleton down there, but he wouldn't come cos they couldn't afford to pay him enough. That don't sound like true love for Africa to me.
Again, my intention is not to dis these people, I repeat that some of my favorite songs are by Capleton and Sizzla, but I just wanted to point out some contradictions. We all have contradictions, being human. No human supposed to follow another as some kind of "prophet", you suppose to follow only JAH, and JAH speak to each and everyone personally in their heart, seen.
This is meant as part of a CONSTRUCTIVE debate, not DESTRUCTIVE criticism, I ain't tellin nobody to stop buying these people's music or going to their shows, seen.
Raspek to all. Peace and Love, and WAR against the downpressor.

Messages In This Thread

leviticus, sizzla and capleton
Re: leviticus, sizzla and capleton
Solid Reasoning Star... Give Thanks *NM*
Beats and Lyrics

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com