HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: How do Rastas deal with Christmas?

I work in a care home for the elderly so I was on duty this xmas and expected to get into the "xmas spirit", dress up, etc. So I put on my kente cloth shirt and a couple beads and came as an African wise man from the east. I got to play them some Bob Marley and dance around with them and they were loving it (these are all 80- to 90-something white welsh folks). Like you (Ayinde) said, the good things that are promoted in xmas, I try to do all the time anyway, so it is just another normal day to me except the buses don't run. But most people round here celebrate it, and I have no problem joining in with them to an extent; in that it's good to hang out with family you haven't seen for a while, have a slightly more relaxed and informal day at work, etc. I have no problem enjoying these things with people who celebrate xmas, however I won't pretend to be something I'm not and go singing carols in the name of jeeza$$ etc.
I went and visited my grandmother in London before Christmas, yeah I bought her a couple presents; she is 92 and lonely and a visit and a couple of presents can brighten up her life and doesn't cost me much so I don't see any problem with that. I also got small gifts for everyone at the home cos my job's about to finish and I wanted to give everyone a little something to show that I like and respect them as individuals (which I do, pretty much all the residents if not all my co-workers). And I got a couple books for my aunt and uncle who have saved me hundreds if not thousands of quid in rent by giving me a dirt-cheap place to stay for the past year. So it is just a token of appreciation.
I don't deal with the xmas trees, holly and ivy, etc.
Kwaanza promotes good principles (obviously to be applied year round) but seems a bit contrived to me, and I generally am not a big fan of Karenga (there are those who think he was/is an agent; he certainly violently opposed the Black Panther Party which I see as the most progressive force for change in the society of that time). So I guess not being a fan of Karenga kind of prejudices me against his creation. But I think it's better for Black people to celebrate Kwaanza than xmas.
Really we should celebrate life and love seven days a week thirteen months a year.
Theme song for the day... Macka B "Christmas is Cancelled".

Messages In This Thread

How do Rastas deal with Christmas?
No Body Kn ows When The Jus-sus Was Born
give dem money on xmas & gifts on Kwanza *NM*
Re: give dem money on xmas & gifts on Kwanza
Nazaret
Re: Nazaret
Christmas Trees
Re: Christmas Trees

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com