Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive

Re: Debelleq - Confused?
In Response To: Debelleq - Confused? ()

Greets Iyah an give thanks fe de reasoning..here is someting me find fe de I..

Question: I am a 15 year old from Texas. We have been having a lesson on prayer in Sunday School. One of the question that came up was, "When Jesus was Praying in the Garden who was He praying to if He is GOD?" It is kinda hard for me to understand this. I am confused. Help me to understand this in the most simple way you can explain. Thank you.

As the text reads, Jesus was praying to His Father (Matthew 26:39).

One of the clearest statements on the prayers of Jesus is found in Hebrews 5:7: "Who, in the days of His flesh, when He had offered up prayers and supplications, with vehement cries and tears to Him who was able to save Him from death, and was heard because of His godly fear."

Some people who deny the complete solidarity of Jesus with humanity, have suggested that His prayers did not arise out of any real need to pray but were merely examples for us to follow. They reduce the humanity of the Messiah from any meaningful identification with human beings to a mere moral influence. His prayers were, according to this view, simply a charade, a well-intentioned drama in which Jesus acted as if He needed divine assistance even though He did not.

But the prayers of Jesus were genuine, springing out of the fullness of His humanity. He prayed to God. It was not, as some suggest, a case of one divine person praying to another divine person. Such an idea violates the radical monotheism of Scripture and would be difficult to distinguish from ditheism (belief in two gods). It would also indicate a subordination of one divine person to another, making the one praying inferior to the other.

But neither, as others suggest, were the prayers of Jesus a case of our Lord praying to Himself. Jesus possessed a complete human psyche by means of which He communicated with other people and with God just as any human being does. Since He is unique in that He is both God and man, there is no satisfactory way to explain His experience in terms completely understandable to finite human minds. There may, however, be a vague parallel in the way human beings can consult with themselves from different points of view.

That Jesus would actually pray the words He did in the Garden further indicates the completeness of His human nature: He subordinated His human will to the will of God. If it had been the case of one divine person praying to anther, His words would have meant the will of one was opposed to the will fo the other. There is, however, no bifurcation in the will of God. Not even those who believe God exists as three persons would suggest that He exists as a divine committee where there is the possibility of one person having a will different from the others. When Jesus prayed, "Nevertheless, not as I will," He spoke from His human nature.

Messages In This Thread

he follows Jesus, some of him words...
Re: he follows Jesus, some of him words...
yes I de whole speech...
Re: yes I de whole speech...
Selassie is an Ikon of Christ in His Kingly Charac
Re: Selassie is an Ikon of Christ in His Kingly Ch
next likkle bit me find fe de I
Debelleq - Confused?
Re: Debelleq - Confused?
It is the Mystire Selasse (Mystery of Trinty)
Re: It is the Mystire Selasse (Mystery of Trinty)
Re: It is the Mystire Selasse (Mystery of Trinty)

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com