HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Why Today I Wear My Zidane Jersey *LINK*

I do not agree with ANY attempts to justify Zidane's conduct and the conclusion of this article.

-Ayinde

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Why Today I Wear My Zidane Jersey

by Dave Zirin

Imagine Michael Jordan in his last game, with the score tied in overtime, knocking out his defender with a punch to the throat. Imagine Derek Jeter in game seven of the World Series, at bat with the bases loaded, thrashing the opposing team's catcher over the head with his bat. Our collective shock would only be exceeded by disappointment. No one, fan or foe, would want to a see a great player end their career in an act that speaks to the worst impulses of sports: when hard competition spills over into violence.

Now imagine if Jordan and Jeter claimed they were provoked with a racial slur. Does their violence become understandable? Even excusable? Herein lies the case of French National team captain, the great Zinedine Zidane.

Zidane, competing in his last professional match, was kicked out of the World Cup final in overtime for flattening Italian player Marco Materazzi with the head-butt heard around the world.

Full Article ...
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/06/07/con06302.html

Messages In This Thread

Why Today I Wear My Zidane Jersey *LINK*
Re: Why Today I Wear My Zidane Jersey
typo: "aren't all sports violent ?" *NM*
Violent people have to learn to cool it
Death to Black & White Downpressors!!!! *NM*
Re: Violent people have to learn to cool it
Those with a history of unjustifiable violence
Re: Those with a history of unjustifiable violence
Menaissance *LINK*
Re: Menaissance
For a slightly more.... *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com