HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: The Subtle Racism of Latin America

Yes there is some accuracy to what Moore is saying, but I think the issues need more reasoning (like what we are doing now) to make sense of. It is not so cut and dry. Of course, many light-skin ones think they are White, but as I pointed out some light-skin mixed ones call themselves Black/Black African especially when they are poor.

Although Whites may be considering a whole set of mixed and light-skin folks as Black, they are not dealing with all those who they consider to be Black in the same manner. They are treating light-skin ones differently to dark-skin ones - a point I think that the article, “Skin tone more important than educational background for African Americans seeking jobs”, may have been trying to point out.

Unfortunately many dark-skin Blacks have emulated the White preference for light-skin ones among those whom they consider to be Black. Some light-skin mixed ones who claim to be Black (especially those who are of the same economic standing as dark-skin Blacks) are either unaware of or are dishonestly in denial about the privileges they get in the system.

On the other hand, from my experience in the Caribbean, many light-skin ones are protective of the privileges they get in the system and they expect dark-skin Blacks to treat them just like Whites expect dark-skin Blacks to treat them.

You asked:
“ayinde, do you feel then from your closing statement that light skinned folks should just make a new race or classification and cease clompletely from addressing themselves as descendants of Afrikan blood?”

‘Light-skin Black’ and ‘light-skin mixed’ are existing categories of people so nothing new has to be created. People do not have to cease from addressing themselves as descendants of Africans as they are indeed also recent descendants of Black Africans. However, it is inaccurate to label all these light-skin mixed people as Black/Black Africans.

I am certainly not trying to tell light-skin mixed ones what to call themselves; I am more making a statement about how I and many other people see them while exposing the reality of how they are treated differently to dark-skin Blacks.

Messages In This Thread

The Subtle Racism of Latin America *LINK*
ayinde, i retract that last question
Re: ayinde, i retract that last question
The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only skin deep
Re: The complexion of dark-skin Blacks is not only
The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
Re: The dark-skin Black complexion is important!!!
You will have the last word.
Re: You will have the last word.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com