IS RASTAFARI A TRAP?
This post was precipitated by Ayinde’s reply to one Ras C. Liontree in a previous thread entitled “HOW DO YOU WHITE 'RASTAS' STOP OTHER WHITE PEOPLE PRACTICING WHITE SUPREMACY?” I decided to leave that thread because of just a few observations I made about that exchange. Also, I wanted to ‘shift’ the focus to WHY — (in my humble view) — WHITE 'RASTAS' CANNOT STOP OTHER WHITE PEOPLE PRACTICING WHITE SUPREMACY?”
This post is not a reply to Ras C. Liontree, but a MORAL SUPPORT for Ayinde.
It appears to me that the main message of the Rastafari Movement has been invaded, corrupted, watered down and almost usurped by most of those people who keep on emptily believing in a “One Love” that never existed, or these that now court us to believe that Afrika is for everyone (since mankind “originated” in Afrika it seems! [SIC]), or that Afrika should be shared; … (and what about Europe?) … Does it really surprise me that these days, and of course before, hardly any white person — including the ones now considering & sheltering themselves as “Rastafarians” — ever raises a candid finger to point out the many Social Injustices & Evils of this world caused by … (who else but) whites?! They could do such a simple thing on this forum. But this is exactly what whites refuse to hear, that THEY are the problem!
THE ROLE OF CULTURE:
We mustn’t dodge issues here just because of “Rastafari”. We all have a culture, just put that “Rasta talk” aside. We can talk of black culture as much as we can discuss white culture etc. Such distinctions are what identifies people into “collective psyches”, “racial groups” in this case. It seems to me that most whites would never really change their general cynical attitudes toward Afrika, Afrikan people, people of Afrikan descent etc; or toward Afrikan CULTURE (and the Afrikan Experience) in its many different manifestations: … To the point where many now like saying things like “After all, Bob Marley’s father was white …” etc as a “reason”, a scapegoat, a defence mechanism to parry any Afrikan shots fired by Pan-Afrikan thinkers, such as on this forum. To them, Bob Marley’s father being white is a gateway, a one-way ticket for them to say they are also Afrikans, or that they can repatriate to any place in Afrika (considered by them as their “home”) etc! … As long as people REMAIN so uneducable, I think this makes Rastafari a diluted “half-white” movement, a joke!!! I know most whites deliberately IGNORE such burning issues, as can be judged in their attitudes to issues such as the on-going organized violence created by (who else but) whites in Iraq, the inevitable land showdown in Zimbabwe (also set up by whites), or in other parts of Afrika, (with more land confrontations to come, hopefully) and so forth. In addition, I am 100% sure that none of these same people would be running around teaching us, black people, about “God”, (once again), if Selassie were what their fore-fathers would call a “full-bloodied Negro”!
For me, the conclusion I have come to, having dealt with roughly as many white as black people (young & old & male & female) in my life so far, is that, in general:
1. WHITES, including most “good ones”, are not above race or colour, subconsciously at least NOT! However, they may play the opposite in a black man’s face
2. WHITES are either self-acclaimed racists, “naturally” non-racist or they still struggle with the idea of how to view race & relate to “Race” or people of other races: (Is it moral or immoral at all to be a “racist”, criticize a black, should they “accept” others or “show” that acceptance etc …)
3. WHITES are still struggling with the idea of where they really came from, as all their contradictory “creativist”/Bible and Darwinist/evolutionary theories etc seek to show. This could also be a “reason” for why WHITES seem to think everyone should love and accept and be “grateful” to them wherever they set foot on this earth
4. (even educated/intelligent) WHITES deliberately “limit” everything about humanity’s achievements only to the period since the European Renaissance, with whites at the centre of course; at the same time they, funnily, ignore or consider as “unimportant”, all the calamitous historical events that accompanied or were the direct result of the Renaissance: which saw the invention of “better” and more ruthlessly designed firearms; the discovery of the bible as a tool used to fool (also themselves) and annihilate whole populations of races of people in the Americas, Australia, Asia and Afrika; the advent of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade; the annexation of Afrika as White Private Property, ripping off the land etc … all of which has resulted in UADDRESSED issues, the blood stains everywhere, people’s sweat unpaid etc: following in history’s footsteps unto this day …
5. WHITES have a problem accepting especially any black cultural achievement as PURE BLACK when so (*my own view*), except (as examples may show) where other races or mixed-race (or “black-white”) people are at the centre of things, or at least involved, which seems usually intentioned — (as seen in having the result) —to visually place blacks on the “periphery of things”!
6. WHITES naturally have a problem accepting that all the wars and violent conflicts and many other disasters were/are either caused by them (usually for their own selfish “racial benefit”) or are the after-effects of continued, organised white dominance, violence, usurpation and exploitation of foreign lands, peoples and cultures
7. WHITES seem to have an in-born problem learning from blacks (or accepting to learn from other races, generally), and admitting so, as perfectly reflected on this forum: So far, one can safely say MOST WHITES have come to the Rastafari Movement with bloated heads and wrong conceptions; because astoundingly, only very few show that they can learn from an Afrikan person, OR FROM AFRIKA!
AYINDE STATED IT RIGHT: After 500 years of psychological damage on both parties, Whites shouldn’t deceive themselves to think they can bring any kind of Livity, Spirituality, History, Social Development and matters of a similar nature to Black Africans.
FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml