AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: a word from our sponsor *LINK*
In Response To: a word from our sponsor ()

Greetings Ma'at,

I understood 360's and KRS-1's point to be that in a way the question is problematic because any perceived significance for Black people in electing a Black American president must be re-evaluated given the dynamics of globalization and the shifting definition of what it means to be the US President in the 21st century as America loses power on the world stage.

But true, that doesn't answer your question about Blacks in the States supporting Obama.

If I had to guess I'd say that Cain can not attract the same kind of popular support as Obeezy did because he lacks the freedom-swagger that sold the population on O. And this is related of course, as you point out, to the Dems having been painted as the 'civil rights' party especially since the Kennedys.

Also as I think Karibkween has suggested, I'm certain that Obama's bi-racial ancestry worked in his political favor. Aside from her argument re. Semites which I'm not sure I entirely understand, I think that there is clearly a tendency to posit the mixed race individual as savior-solution to a polarized Black-White 'race problem.' It's this multi-culti discourse... This desire for the 'mixed,' 'mid-way,' body as one that can be used to bridge the two worlds (and dissolve any significant critical analysis of race) doesn't work with Cain, but Obeezy can play it to the hilt with all the centrism you can eat.

Cain seems to think that Obama has exhausted these options though, I think, which explains his emphasis on Obama's international (and especially African)-ness and his own American-ness, and on raising questions about Black loyalty to the Democratic party. His campaign seems centered on a take off the (brown?-)colored spectacles message.
I'm sure you know that your question almost quotes his recent statement that:
*Many African-Americans have been brainwashed into not being open-minded, not even considering a conservative point of view*

Messages In This Thread

Well he's black too, so why not? *LINK*
Re: Well he's black too, so why not?
GOTS to love the Teacha! *NM*
a word from our sponsor
Re: a word from our sponsor *LINK*
word/power i-sis...
gotcha
Re: Well he's black too, so why not? *NM* *LINK*
@1:04 *NM* *LINK*
word/power BUT A DIVERSION/DIGRESSION
i will bow out of this reasoning . . .
you do that! *NM*
Re: you do that!
the great/classy 360..look at you now
oshun auset would be shocked...
dead on, I would say.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com