AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: Aboriginal genome analysis ...and ethic

Yea Judah, this is some interesting stuff.

This is like not seeing the forest for the trees. I think the ethical implications of this one case should not be addressed in isolation to genetic testing alone. There should also be discussions on property and ownership of artefacts, be them biological or otherwise that are currently housed predominantly in European/western warehouses and museums. And of course, there should be repatriation of these artefacts.

Also, I dont buy the idea of the Human Genome Diversity sequencing and what 'harm' has been done due to mistrust. While I am definitely for finding the origins of peoples and how we are all associated and 'progressed' to the current world dynamic, I think a big chunk of scientists are focussed on creating 'cures' that they then patent and then you 'have' to buy the drugs from them...always. It is a case of the extension of colonialism.

Maybe its better if the Aborigines stay with their diabetes and heart diseases. I can see it being a valid or good-to-know point that these diseases are genetically concentrated in their subpopulation, but its probably only expressed so much physically/phenotypically due to western/european induced poverty, oppression, discrimination and marginalization.

Messages In This Thread

Aboriginal genome analysis ...and ethic *LINK*
Re: Aboriginal genome analysis ...and ethic *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com