AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Comfortable in my own skin

Only a person uncomfortable in their own skin would fall into the 'political trap' that is racial/ethnic identity in the good ol' Jew S.A.

In Trinidad I'm at home among all the Tribes; at least, I was before I left. In the U.S. I quickly learned from relatives that 'Negro' was not the preferred term. When I tried to explain that there is no difference between the term Black and Negro, I was told that not a lot of Black Americans saw it that way. So I adjusted.

When I stated like father like son I was trying to explain why Tiger made the choices he made; he couldn't be any different from what he was taught. In the U.S. if you're not White Anglo-Saxon American you're Black, no ambiguity. Does anyone think the people enforcing those codes are unaware of the plurality of ethnicites in the make-up of the citizenry? It is practically the only place on the globe (outside China) where one cannot just be.

Even in T&T non-white people are a host of other ethnicities including caucasian but most never claim it. They will accept any other label, dougla, pagnol, mixed, negro, indian, creole, etc but they all know if they're not 100% White they're Black. So for most Caribbeans being called African-American or Black isn't the whole truth, but true anyway, so why make a fuss.

White Americans knowing the sensitive nature of race in this country are always looking for patsies. Did the delineation of the heritage of Tiger make him any less Black in the eyes of Whites? All it did was promote a perception of self-hate and turn him into the Judas who denied his father; leaving him without a Tribe.

Messages In This Thread

Tiger returned to his father's......."blackness" *LINK*
Where is his CABLASIAN Nation? *NM*
Like Father, Like Son *LINK*
sounds a lot like.... *NM* *LINK*
If you have a hearing/perception problem
Comfortable in my own skin
Re: Comfortable in my own skin *LINK*
Comfortable in his own skin *LINK*
Re: Comfortable in my own skin *LINK*
Re: If you have a hearing/perception problem *LINK*
Well what is BLACKNESS?

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com