AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: Colorism: The Hierarchical Nature of Skin Tone

Obviously we will not dispute the role western/european imperialism and neo-colonialism and the democratising of Africa play in it's current crises. This is "up against" the Tribalism inherent. I am sure you have discussed this before on the Speaks.

Africa as we know is diverse culturally, language, physically, geographically,resources etc, but is tribalism only wrong in the context of imperialism, colonialism and democracy? So is "tribalism' in Africa a western creation as well?

I had African friends when I was studying who immediately identified themselves by their tribes, two from East africa, two from West Africa. They were from the elite ruling classes, wealthy but wholly pigmented.
Today in Australia we have many African refugees from the Sudan, Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Ghana. Whenever I have an opportunity I speak to them, even though they now almost always identify country, they also then immediately identify tribe. The Sudanese are a mixture of Hamitics/Nilotics, obviously Bantu, and some very very ancient genetic structure which sent shivers into my brain.

The Koisan, good point, are fighting for survival as nomadic peoples, yes, so this is a different form of discrimination is it not? The contempory against the First/Ancient, the one contaminating, the other preserving.

The Congolese? I will have to look that up...

All Indigenous women of colour worldwide who were raped by the colonialists and the result, those of us who are mixed are all victims.
Colourism, was invented and is still continually perpetuated by them, we should no longer allow it to be divisive amongst our communities wherever they are. I am certain with a collective consciousness, a united tribe of colour,in our own communities and worldwide, the racists power at grassroots level is being diminished. In this country we are starting to see a turn around with racists being jailed for their blatant racism. Unfortunately the biggest battle is fighting their sheer ignorance.

Shakira is Mexican is she not? The first kickoff was RSA and Mexico.
Commiserations to Nelson Mandela and his family for the loss of his beautiful and talented great granddaughter.

back to the football..a cold winter's day so am happy to be inside by the fire.

Messages In This Thread

Colorism: The Hierarchical Nature of Skin Tone *LINK*
Re: Colorism: The Hierarchical Nature of Skin Tone *LINK*
Who needs a shave
Gates is at it again *LINK*
Children biased toward lighter skin Link

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com