AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

DID K'NAAN SELL OUT TO BIG CORP?

K'naan brought "Wavin' Flag" to the Fifa World Cup Kick-Off Celebration Concert June 10 in Johannesburg, with the help of drummers, dancers, will.i.am and several thousand flag wavers in the audience.

The song is the official anthem for Coca-Cola's World Cup campaign. You may have noticed the Troubadour track has been slightly re-jigged to suit the massive athletic event, and sponsors reportedly wanted to make a few adjustments beyond the addition of a Black Eyed Pea and David Guetta to the track.

Lyrics such as "struggling, fighting to eat," which painted a sombre picture of the rapper's home country of Somalia (never mind the original version's content as a song about the rapper leaving the country on the cusp of civil war) apparently made Coca-Cola feel a little too dark and twisty inside. So as Billboard reports, K'Naan suggested that he change the lyrics to be more befitting a "celebration mix."

(So, maybe he's not a sell-out, but we'd still like an explanation regarding will.i.am.)

"I saw it as an opportunity to reach more people," K'Naan told Billboard. "I don't work for Coke or anything; what I do is my music. This was a really great opportunity for them to use my song, without compromising my integrity as a musician. This is what I write, these are the songs I make. I'm happy about it."

For the World Cup campaign, "Wavin' Flag (Celebration Mix)" has been re-recorded 12 times to feature pop stars from different countries, Billboard reports, and will introduce the Toronto-raised star to a global audience. The single is being released in 150 countries, the mag reports.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com