AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Isonomy vs. Democracy vs Oligarchy vs Monarchy
In Response To: Re: symbiotic farming ()

Herodotus: The Histories; Bk III

III.80: And now when five days were gone, and the hubbub had settled down, the conspirators met together to consult about the situation of affairs. At this meeting speeches were made, to which many of the Hellenes give no credence, but they were made nevertheless. Otanes recommended that the management of public affairs should be entrusted to the whole nation. "To me," he said, "it seems advisable, that we should no longer have a single man to rule over us---the rule of one is neither good nor pleasant.

You cannot have forgotten to what lengths Cambyses went in his haughty tyranny, and the haughtiness of the Magi you have yourselves experienced. How indeed is it possible that monarchy should be a well-adjusted thing, when it allows a man to do as he likes without being answerable? Such license is enough to stir strange and unwonted thoughts in the heart of the worthiest of men. Give a person this power, and straightway his manifold good things puff him up with pride, while envy is so natural to human kind that it cannot but arise in him. But pride and envy together include all wickedness---both of them leading on to deeds of savage violence.

True it is that kings, possessing as they do all that heart can desire, ought to be void of envy; but the contrary is seen in their conduct towards the citizens. They are jealous of the most virtuous among their subjects, and wish their death; while they take delight in the meanest and basest, being ever ready to listen to the tales of slanderers. A king, besides, is beyond all other men inconsistent with himself. Pay him court in moderation, and he is angry because you do not show him more profound respect--- show him profound respect, and he is offended again, because (as he says) you fawn on him. But the worst of all, is, that he sets aside the laws of the land, puts men to death without trial, and subjects women to violence. The rule of the many, on the other hand, has, in the first place, the fairest of names, to wit, isonomy; and further it is free from all those outrages which a king is wont to commit. There, places are given by lot, the magistrate is answerable for what he does, and measures rest with the commonalty. I vote, therefore, that we do away with monarchy, and raise the people to power: For the people are all in all." Such were the sentiments of Otanes.

III.81: Megabyzus spoke next, and advised the setting up of an oligarchy: "In all that Otanes has said to persuade you to put down monarchy," he observed, "I fully concur; but his recommendation that we should call the people to power seems to me not the best advice: For there is nothing so void of understanding; nothing so full of wantonness, as the unwieldy rabble. It were folly not to be borne, for men, while seeking to escape the wantonness of a tyrant, to give themselves up to the wantonness of a rude unbridled mob. The tyrant, in all his doings, at least knows what is he about, but a mob is altogether devoid of knowledge; for how should there be any knowledge in a rabble, untaught, and with no natural sense of what is right and fit? It rushes wildly into state affairs with all the fury of a stream swollen in the winter, and confuses everything. Let the enemies of the Persians be ruled by democracies; but let us choose out from the citizens a certain number of the worthiest, and put the government into their hands. For thus both we ourselves shall be among the governors, and power being entrusted to the best men, it is likely that the best counsels will prevail in the state."

III.82: This was the advice which Megabyzus gave, and after him Darius came forward, and spoke as follows: "All that Megabyzus said against democracy was well said, I think; but about oligarchy he did not speak advisedly; for take these three forms of government---democracy, oligarchy, and monarchy---and let them each be at their best, I maintain that monarchy far surpasses the other two. What government can possibly be better than that of the very best man in the whole state? The counsels of such a man are like himself, and so he governs the mass of the people to their heart's content; while at the same time his measures against evil-doers are kept more secret than in other states. Contrariwise, in oligarchies, where men vie with each other in the service of the commonwealth, fierce enmities are apt to arise between man and man, each wishing to be leader, and to carry his own measures; whence violent quarrels come, which lead to open strife, often ending in bloodshed. Then monarchy is sure to follow; and this too shows how far that rule surpasses all others
Again, in a democracy, it is impossible but that there will be malpractices: these malpractices, however, do not lead to enmities, but to close friendships, which are formed among those engaged in them, who must hold well together to carry on their villainies. And, so things go on until a man stands forth as champion of the commonalty, and puts down the evil-doers. Straightway the author of so great a service is admired by all, and from being admired soon comes to be appointed king; so that here too it is plain that monarchy is the best government. Lastly, to sum up all in a word, whence, I ask, was it that we got the freedom which we enjoy? Did democracy give it us, or oligarchy, or a monarch? As a single man recovered our freedom for us, my sentence is that we keep to the rule of one. Even apart from this, we ought not to change the laws of our forefathers when they work fairly; for to do so is not well."

III.83: Such were the three opinions brought forward at this meeting; the four other Persians voted in favor of the last. Otanes, who wished to give his countrymen a democracy, when he found the decision against him, arose a second time, and spoke thus before the assembly: "Brother conspirators, it is plain that the king who is to be chosen will be one of ourselves, whether we make the choice by casting lots for the prize, or by letting the people decide which of us they will have to rule over them, in or any other way. Now, as I have neither a mind to rule nor to be ruled, I shall not enter the lists with you in this matter. I withdraw, however, on one condition---none of you shall claim to exercise rule over me or my seed for ever." The six agreed to these terms, and Otanes withdraw and stood aloof from the contest. And still to this day the family of Otanes continues to be the only free family in Persia; those who belong to it submit to the rule of the king only so far as they themselves choose; they are bound, however, to observe the laws of the land like the other Persians.

All are ineffective without civility.

Messages In This Thread

symbiotic farming *LINK*
Understanding the nature of the beast *LINK*
Re: Understanding the nature of the beast
Paralysis tied to food poisoning *LINK*
Re: symbiotic farming
Chant after me...
follow me...troll me....
Oh piss off
oh get off the vapors
Isonomy vs. Democracy vs Oligarchy vs Monarchy
Re: Isonomy vs. Democracy vs Oligarchy vs Monarchy
Brzezinski's Diplomacy *LINK*
Re: Brzezinski's Diplomacy
Re: Brzezinski's Diplomacy *LINK*
Re: Isonomy vs. Democracy vs Oligarchy vs Monarchy *LINK*
Mongrel Politics and an American Mind *LINK*
Mediacracy / Media-Crazy?
Re: Mediacracy / Media-Crazy? *LINK*
"Imagine if the Tea Party was Black"- Tim Wise *LINK*
Re: "Imagine if the Tea Party was Black"- Tim Wise
Re: Isonomy vs. Democracy vs Oligarchy vs Monarchy *LINK*
Malpractice Insurance Co-Op
Re: Malpractice Insurance Co-Op *NM* *LINK*
Re: symbiotic farming *LINK*
"Happy Genocide Day"
A crash you may have missed . . . *LINK*
Did not; but did you miss this crash? *LINK*
Re: Did not; but did you miss this crash?
Re: Did not; but did you miss this crash?
We're all Joe Stack! *LINK*
Re: We're all Joe Stack!
confirming your insight . . . *NM* *LINK*
Re: confirming your insight . . . *NM* *LINK*
Community trumps Anonymity *NM* *LINK*
Re: Community trumps Anonymity
Re: Community trumps Anonymity
American Serengeti *LINK*
Re: confirming your insight . . . *LINK*
Re: confirming your insight . . . *LINK*
felt that today where i reside *NM*
Re: felt that today where i reside
Re: Did not; but did you miss this crash? *NM* *LINK*
Diabolical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Diabolical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
free markets win again . . . *NM* *LINK*
NO. Its the defeat of Supply Side Economics
Re: NO. Its the defeat of Supply Side Economics
Re: NO. Its the defeat of Supply Side Economics
Pemature Death? *LINK*
Re: Pemature Death? *LINK*
Re: Pemature Death? *NM* *LINK*
Co-founder of social network Diaspora dies at 22 *NM* *LINK*
Altruism or Conceit?
Re: Altruism or Conceit?
Re: Altruism or Conceit?
Re: Altruism or Conceit? *NM* *LINK*
Joe discovered the carcass and... *LINK*
Ron Paul the racist *NM* *LINK*
Re: Ron Paul the racist
Re: Ron Paul the racist
I get by with a little help from my friends . . . *NM* *LINK*
Seems like Curiosity keeps on killing...
Re: I get by with a little help from my friends . *NM* *LINK*
Man behind Tesla motors launches space rocket *LINK*
more to this than meets the eye? *NM* *LINK*
Quinoa Boom Is Both Boon and Bane *LINK*
The Pyramid Crisis *NM* *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com