AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency Premiers toni

More greets!

Kingman. Street children used to be a public issue here also but it looked like only a handful and only in the capital city and in the next biggest town. Nowadays one can go for long periods without seeing them and even forget they exist. There are adults and young adults too who appear to sleep on the street.

When I was growing up, newspaper and magazine writers used to try and figure out how children ever ended up on the street. They could have been orphans or victims of abuse or neglect by their parents; or just downright stubborn youths who refused to go home (?)It is a common feature of places where rural to urban migration has taken place and people who reach the city without being certain where they are going end up beaing 'squatters.' The picture you give is just right, dusty barefooted youths sniffing glue. They say glue makes them forget about hunger.

Some years back in our second city, 'street children' resorted to washing cars in mall parking lots but after sometime the government put a stop to that and they 'disappeared' mysteriously. some of them have been alleged victims of sexual abuse by usually white old men...

Poverty is real in Africa.

My younger sister (really my niece) is doing her tertiary in Namibia. I man have never been there but have thought of driving there when one of her semesters starts or ends using the newly constrcted Trans Kalahari Highway which is Botswana's newest outlet to the sea. Our landlocked country used to depend on South Africa even in apartheid years for an outlet.

October? Perhaps InI could even link up when the I are passing through!

Respect

Messages In This Thread

Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency Premiers tonite

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com