Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Forgive slavery, forget reparations

Greetings Rastafari,
With all due raspect to the sistren, who is my elder, I would agree with ones who sight the stain of colonialism in her writing. Her statement that
***Instead of the successful inter-racial relationships that all Jamaicans enjoy with each other, a barrier would spring up between us all and what little harmony exists in this beautiful island would disappear.***

...sounds very much like the myth of assimilation and peaceful coexistence created by the Jamaican government (the national motto, something like "Out of many, One people"). I am certain that Sistren Makeda Blake Hannah is aware that early Rastafari in J'ca struggled toward dispelling this myth, and I do not overstand her statement about "all Jamaicans" enjoying inter-racial harmony. Even she seems to back-pedal somewhat when she refers to "what little harmony exists"...

It also seems somewhat a-historical to I that she, as a Rasta wombman and presumably well aware of what the history of American investment has done to her beloved country, writes that

****Countries are already paying reparations anyway, in the form of loans, grants and project funding, both here and in Africa. The philanthropy and generosity of the European Union and the U.S.A. are well known in Jamaica.****

...I wonder if the situation in J'ca has changed so much in the past decade or so, as my understanding of J'ca's more recent socio-economic situation is admitedly limited (I will seek this information...).
It sounds as if this Rasta sistren, well experienced in the repatriation movement has come to the conclusion that in her life, in her experience, her energies would be more effectively focussed on other issues.
I wombman-sight a response to the proposed Rastafari code of conduct (I can not recall the name of the Idren who wrote it at this moment), reminding all that knowledge of Africa and African affairs past and present, as well as personal action toward the betterment of the Motherland is essential for all Rastafari. I, personally, am not clear whether or not this includes/ requires repatriation.

Blessings.

Messages In This Thread

Forgive slavery, forget reparations *LINK*
to clarrify... *LINK*
Re: to clarrify...
Pleae do not ask us to forget History
I give thanks, Baba Ras Marcus!!! *NM*
Re: I give thanks, Baba Ras Marcus!!!
Re: Pleae do not ask us to forget History
Re: Rosalind
in other words, Rosalind...up yours!!!
Hotep Isciple... *NM*
when did rosalind EVER show anger to you?
To Rosalind
Re: To Rosalind
The Myth of Universal Patriarchy
Re: Forgive slavery, forget reparations *LINK*
Repatriation and Reparation Is International
Re: Repatriation and Reparation Is International
Re: Repatriation and Reparation Is International

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com