HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: How can mixed race help break down racism?

There isn't a Black tribe in Southern Africa today without a drop of Hebrew blood. The migrations have been many- from the time of King Solomon, the Exile etc.

I always find it annoying when they say Zimbabwe's Jewish population is 800 ( only counting the Askenazic and Serphadic communities) There is more than 5000 practising Black Jews in Harare alone.

The culture of my people has many decidely Old Testament origins. Even the name for God ( Yawe or Zame. In other Afriacn tongues it's Yabe, Onyame, Nzambe - from where we get "zombie")

I do not consider myself Jewish. But the Black Jews in Zimbabwe consider Rastafari a Jewish sect. When I attended synagogue, one of the Elders, Benjamin Kwindima, declared me to be of the House of Judah. My family totem is Lion ( Judah is a Lion, a lion to the prey Genesis 49) My wife, a Moyo ( Heart) is a Levitess ( Levi in hebrew is Heart- my heart not go in to their counsel. Even the European explorers described the Judaic rites the Moyos were keeping in the 1800s.

But it is not just Hebrew blood that makes up the modern African. There is also Khemitic etc., and non-African ancestry as well, such as Arab.

Many non-African peoples who settled in Africa adopted Totems as well. By these, their origins are known. My wife is a Moyo Sinyoro ( the Sinyoro is derived from Senor, Portuguese. But she is not white, she is darker than me and I am very dark) So she is of Portugeuese descent, and that Portuguese ancestor would have had a Moyo mother.

The totem system works a bit like European heraldry, with cadet and disatff branches of a line having their own derived symbols. Usually, for a woman's lineage to have their own totem she must have played a role in establishing that line or her kids are bastards (their father unknown or not married to her. In my culture, the children belong to the mother's people if the man did not marry her) For example, my greatx13-grandfather established his Buja nation by the help of his sister, Chingate ( she seduced his rival and discovered the secret of his military might) Her children were given territory to rule over, and to this day they too are Shumba Nyamuziwahs like me, but they add wekwaCharehwa ( of the House of Charehewa) to their titles. So they do not have any claim to the Buja throne. A sexual relationship with any one of them would not be considered incestuous- a fact eagerly explained to me by a certain girl a long time ago who had become quite taken with me. But that is another story......

I do not know what people's problem is with Hebrews being Africans. I just don't get it. Anyone with a personal knowledge of African culture would know straight away that it is the same as the Hebrew culture - family systems, sacrifices, wife-inheritance, dealings with strangers etc. People should not confuse the ancient Hebrews whose traditions are still alive in Africa with the modern Jews, who are really Europeans.

Messages In This Thread

How can mixed race help break down racism?
how can
Genocide can help break down racism?
Re: Genocide can help break down racism?
race mixing + racism
Re: race mixing + racism
race mixing + racism
how can mix....
Re: How can mixed race help break down racism? *LINK*
Re: How can mixed race help break down racism? *LINK*
Re: How can mixed race help break down racism? *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com