Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: How can mixed race help break down racism? *LINK*

Greets Gman,

actually a mate of mine had the high honour of actually appearing on the popular 70's series "Skippy the bush Kangaroo" which used to feature the aforementioned bushbasher saving the free world on a fairly consistent basis... ahhh (white) australian culture!

but like you i digress,

re your points, seen. I oscilate madly between the 'the world wont change until everyone is personally changed' perspective and the more practical 'one thing at a time' view. a bit of both mayhaps?

about the fun and games in Redfern. i actually lived about two streets up from wher all of this latest manifestation of nastiness went down, and know the area quite well. There is a street (everleigh st.) that is more or less the exclusive domain of indigenous folk. It is the scene of fairly frequent confrontations between the local cops and the locals. press coverage of the event has subsided due to looming elections here, but in general terms i think that what has happened is a lot of scrutiny of the way that police acty in the area, hand in hand with efforts to deal with some of the pretty major social problems that go on. heroin is the means of choice to self destruct on in oz society, and it its use is approaching very dangerous levels in the urban indigenous community, as is the even worse habit of petrol sniffing. To further compound all of this the street in question is in the middle of Sydney, which has been undergoing a massive real estate boom. Which i think may well lie very close to the heart of the matter... you can probably imagine the pressures that in play to move these pesky aboriginal folk on and stop them 'wasting' the valuable land.

alas, our prime minister is still alive and well and busily kissing george bush's bum at every given opportunity. we could save a bit of money by just getting the yanks to annex the place and be done with it. he, with the conivance of our gutless opposition has just presided over the disbanding of the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Commission (ATSIC), which is the peak body for indigenous self determination and funding. There were definately problems with corruption and use of funds (unlike mainstream government?)but to axe the lot rather than reform the situation is just more racist wedge politricks from a guy who is a absolute master of the art.

What i might do is dig around a bit and put together a few articles under a "news from oz" topic when i get the chance
In the meantime I have put ATSIC's website on as a link, it is a good place to start from.

love and life
paul

Messages In This Thread

How can mixed race help break down racism?
Re: How can mixed race help break down racism?
how can
Genocide can help break down racism?
Re: Genocide can help break down racism?
race mixing + racism
Re: race mixing + racism
race mixing + racism
how can mix....
Re: How can mixed race help break down racism? *NM*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com