HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks TV Archive

Re: What do blacks not want as white rasta objecti

Blair, I agree that the questions you propose should be asked of all rasta. As far as why white rastas in particular should be questioned, I think I addressed that on an earlier post: yes we are all from Africa but some of us are from Africa 1 million years ago and some of us are from Africa 100 years ago. So, for example, any white rasta that talks about "repatriating" themselves to Africa should be questioned as to what exactly they mean by that.
As far as whether all these other people are 'white', no they are not. All indigenous people and 'people of color' (I hate that stupid term but it's better than 'non-white')have been crushed under the hand of white supremacy. Indians, chinese, aborigines, Maoris, you name it. If you check the works of my countryman Walter Rodney as you say, you would know that his definition of 'black' encompassed Indians and Amerindians as well. That's also how that word is mostly used in the U.K., it could mean an African, a West Indian or a Pakistani.

The whole issue of white and black is not really about skin color, it's about power. As you correctly point out there is no such thing as race really, we all have 99% the same genetic makeup. There are different ethnic groups, different cultures, only one human race. But how the international system of white supremacy works is it lumps together everybody from the various ethnic groups and cultures of Europe (at least western Europe- except for the gypsies)and says that their lives have more value than others. This is also a way of masking class conflict within the 'whites'. Implicitly, poor whites are being told "Yeah we're f***ing you but look how much worse we're f***ing these brown-skinned people. You'd better stick with us, your white ruling class, if you know what's good for you, because otherwise we might just start treating you like these n****z."

There's an interesting book called "How the Irish became White", it talks about how the Irish were treated basically just like blacks when they first arrived in America, but the system quickly incorporated them into the 'white' category and gave them more benefits... because the last thing they needed was another set of potential allies for blacks and natives. A similar thing happened with the Jews, the Italians, Eastern Europeans, they were one step away from being slaves when they arrived in America but were quickly allowed to climb the social ladder. But never to the point of the white anglo-saxon: they were assigned their places they were supposed to hold, like Irish could be cops, jews could be small business owners (often in black neighborhoods creating a 'buffer' class between the Africans at the bottom and white anglo-saxons on top.)

So you see when I'm talking about 'white' I'm talking about an artificially created social category. But because it was artificially created doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Babylon has assigned us all our places, we need to critically examine those places and move out of them. For whites to be a part of an originally black liberation movement such as Rasta, they must purge themselves of how they've been taught to behave as 'whites'. Sometimes they might not be aware of how they've been conditioned, that's why questioning them is a good thing. And, yes, we who are black should question and purge ourselves as well.

As far as Makeda's question about 'half-whites', I have to respond to that because I'm one of 'em. Personally i don't consider myself half-anything, I consider myself fully human, fully African, fully Celtic. Since in this system we are categorized according to race, I fall into the Black category. Because to Amerikkka, I'm a n***a just like any other.

By the way when my parents got married in London in the late 60s, you couldn't imagine the amount of shit they went through. Landlords wouldn't rent to them, white or black, most of the white landlords were racists and the black ones were afraid the National Front would firebomb their building if they had an "interracial" couple in it. Now when we moved to Guyana, where there are few white people, the worst shit they ever got was a couple of stares and comments, and that rarely. That's why I'm skeptical about all this 'reverse racism' certain white people complain about. I mean, for example, I went to the Million Youth March in NY a couple years ago (more out of hatred for Giuiliani who tried to ban it than out of support for the late Khallid Muhammad). At that "black racist hate march" there were white people there right in the midst of it, no one attacked them or tried to kick them out. Can you imagine a black man attending a KKK or Aryan Nations rally and coming out in one piece?

Well I dunno how coherent that was... I never have enough time on the computer to really sit down and write everything I want to say... ask me for clarification if you need some.
Respek! Peace! Love!
WAR against downpression!

Messages In This Thread

What do blacks not want as white rasta objectives?
Re: Questions and Shades
Re: Hair This!!
Re: What do blacks want? Equal Opportunity
Re: What do blacks want? Equal Opportunity
Re: don't CONfuse Rasta with baldheads
Re: don't CONfuse.
Re: What the white really has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What the white really has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Give thanks for your words Blair...
A final comment on the "White Rastas" issue
Re: A final comment on the "White Rastas" issue

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com