AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Sorry for the late response...
In Response To: For Oshun Auset ()

I've been very ill...

"Greetings Sis
I agree that phenotype is more of deciding factor in race descriptions in America than genotype. I also acknowledge that light skinned black people generally get better treatment than darker black folks. I however think that self-identity plays a big part in whether a biracial person is able to lead and identify with black people."

I would tweek what you have said and say that self-identity plays a HUGE PART in whether a biracial person is able to WORK FOR and identity with African/Black people...

The reason I subsitituted 'work for' with 'lead' is because the focus by individuals should be on the work they contribute, not whether or not they are in 'figurehead' position. Thoughs who claim to want qualitative change in the conditions of life for the African masses, and simultaneously know that they have an unfair advantage based on colour/phenotype under white patriarchal supremacy when compared to the dark skinned African masses, and are focussed on being the symbolic figurehead of any African movement have questionable 'motive' and/or 'overstanding' IMO.

Since leadership is largely symbolic in revolution because the strength should reside within the organized and ideologically trained masses, and symbolic language is EXTREMELY important, than it should be a priority for anyone with the psychological well being of the African masses to want the 'figurehead' to be a member of and representative of the most oppressed and exploited, which also 'happens' to be the vast majority. Numerically speaking, this should be absolutely no issue whatsoever considering the light skinned/ biracial folk are a small minority within the global African population. BTW, I also think that gender plays a role in this(as it does win oppression/exploitation), and that the leader(s) should be womb-men. I'm not talking about exclusivism... I'm talking about the leadership reflecting the masses accurately.

"For instance, I find that a bi-racial child will take on the identity of the race of the primary caretaker(typically the mother). If a biracial child is raised by a white woman, then the child will more than likely identify with white people due to being raised around his/her mother's family. If the mother is black, the biracial child will more than likely identify with being black due to his/her surroundings and upbringing."

I would say with the current generation this is pretty much true. Anyone born during the 70's or earlier... not as much. From what I've noticed, reguardless of the parental situation because of the social conditions, biracial folks identified as African/Black prior to the 80's. That is not to say that loyalty to the African community was guaranteed. It isn't guaranteed with clear cut phenotypical members... but it was more likely.

"Does that fact that the person is "half" black and light in appearance, supercede the mentality of the individual and their identification with being black in America?"

That depends on the individual and largely IMO the time frame and surroundings(familial and geographical/social) in which they are raised... I was talking more along the lines of the biracial persons place in 'symbolic leadership' of the African masses. I do not think that should be the focus or aspiration on biracial/lightskinned people..

I hope I answered your questions...

Messages In This Thread

Change...What Change??? *LINK*
Re: Change...What Change???
Re: Change...What Change??? *LINK*
For Oshun Auset
Sorry for the late response...
Clarification...
Re: Clarification...
give thankhs *NM*
Re: Sorry for the late response...
KEEP THAT TRUTHSPEAK FLOWING *NM*
absolutely *NM*
let me add...
* footnote
Re: * footnote
if no response from Leslie, I'll bite...
Re: if no response from Leslie, I'll bite... *LINK*
Re: if no response from Leslie, I'll bite...
Re: Statistics vs. Speculation *LINK*
Re: Statistics vs. Speculation *LINK*
Re: Statistics vs. Speculation
Khadafi heads African Union *LINK*
Re: Khadafi heads African Union
True dat...
what up G
Re: what up G
Will Obama have to be better because he's black *NM* *LINK*
Re: Will Obama have to be better because he's blac
Slick Willy was no dummy *NM*
devil in a blue dress......? *NM* *LINK*
what change??? PLENTY OF CHANGE!!!
Re: Change...What Change??? *NM* *LINK*
ONE QUESTION, RASI.
Re: ONE QUESTION, RASI.
Re: ONE QUESTION, RASI.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com