AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

My First Experience

First, some background: I am 27, I live in the American South with my girlfriend and my three year-old son. I do not smoke the herb with any regularity at all, and I prefer ska to reggae or dancehall. I have always considered myself an atheist until recently, and that's where this post comes in.

Religion has always fascinated me. A few months ago, I found a Peter Tosh album, the wonderful acoustic "I Am That I Am." In this album, there are some interview segments from appearances he made on American radio. He talks about the herb, Rastafari, and the history of the Wailers. His talk of Rasta led me to do some research on the movement. I love to learn about religious faiths; they fascinate me.

In my research, it spoke to me like nothing else I've ever experienced, more than the protestant Christianity that I grew up with, more than anything other faith I've learned about. I learned and learned. I've read so much information over the past month, on this website and others. I was beginning to think about becoming a Rasta, but all of the information was starting to overload my brain. I've read so much about becoming a Rasta, and it seems like the one common denominator is that a great place to start is a simple prayer to Jah, followed by quiet personal meditation, so that's what I decided to do.

I prayed "Glory be to the father and to the maker of creation. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be World without end: Jah Rastafari: Eternal God Selassie I," and I meditated, trying to clear my head of all thoughts.

As soon as I finished praying, I felt a calm, an incredible peace, pass through my body. I got goosebumps and I felt like I'd never felt before. When my mind began to wander, I would say "Jah Rastafari" a few times until I got back on track. Thoughts of Jah, HIM Selassie I, and peace just kept me in that special place. I stayed there for a half an hour. Afterwards, up until right now, three hours later, that feeling of peace persists.

I do not know if I am ready to call myself a Rasta yet, but I can say this: nothing but contemplating Jah and praying to Jah Rastafari has ever made me feel like this. There is truth in Rastafari and I can't wait to go further and further into the faith.

Messages In This Thread

My First Experience
Re: My First Experience
Re: My First Experience

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com