AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: THE ALL TIME TRIVIA QUESTION
In Response To: THE ALL TIME TRIVIA QUESTION ()

Greetings

Yes, I have to agree with the response of rosalind, the Daguerreotypes, a protoype of the modern day camera was created in the 1830's. If I also understand correctly, you had to stay very very still, a minute or so, for such epic pictures. The scene of an auction was not a very plesant one, and would hardly provide the conditions of recording. I think you are fusing the technology of today with that of 200 years ago. So to say "IT'S MUCH EASIER TO TAKE A SNAP SHOT THAN TO SIT DOWN AND DRAW A SCENE." That is not sufficiently taking stock of the advancement in this technology from then to now. Also if slavery was nearer to its decline, the slavery that was still occuring illegally you would less likely take pictures of it, it was something in decline while things like the Civil War were drawing more attention and resources of Americans. It also presumes to know the popularity of the type of camera used then. There are so many kinds of scenes that were not photographically recorded back then.

I think you are also dismissing the prominence and importance of drawings, paintings and sketches, which were very valid means of expression and conveyances of events and recording of history. I also agree, these evidences can be wrong. I read somewhere that a pictoral representation of Pocahontas for instance in a painting was purely the idea of the artist, and there are many examples in history of artists putting their own interpretation and biases of an event, modifying things to the appeal of the mood and atmosphere of their day/time period. Or even doing so because they were contracted or commissioned to do so so by an employer.

But that being said, I also think you are putting too much value on the need for photographs. In history so many experiences and events have occured and we do not have anything but words and maps to believe in them. If you are rasta as your name suggests you believe in the bible, what photographs are there of all the things in the bible. Many aspects of it are historical and record different peoples and times. Of course again, it goes hand in hand with what I said above and what I think you are going for, written words are not always accurate and dont automatically equate the truth. However, that is where your ability to discern things must come into play....

If Africans came to America, were doing so in such quantities to give rise to the populations of people there and in the Caribbean, why did they not bring their Kings, their Queens? Why did they not keep their culture? Their games, religion, marriage, way of building homes and edificies of their culture in the last few hundreds of years? Why are there no place names of Africans in such quantity in America? Why is their no great preponderance of art work in America from Africans? Why did they not export gold, money, new crops and other resources back to Africa? What about their political system? Why does America look so white today but de-Africanised and only has reminders of the many ways they have been oppressed but not of their flourishing? What explains the racism and hatred that is so recorded in history by even whites? Why wasnt their contribution to the Civil War and to the American Consitution evident? Why are all the fonding fathers whites, how could not a people NOT OPPRESSED not be more influencial if they were coming here happily, FREELY of their own will?

What about the oppression placed on Africans in Africa by the white man, did that happen on its own or after Europeans became rich from slavery, and then subsequently were ever more greedy giving rise to colonization on the continent and destruction of African cultures in almost every country in the current geographical layout.

What was the motive for all the Africans who live in America to leave Africa? Why are their no photographs of them living in regal splendor either in America? Where is the immense documentation to account for African presense in America the way you envisage?

I did not read how 'They Came Before Coloumbus', but if you are speaking of Olmecs and West Africans they were believed to have travelled to America much much earlier, as early as 10,000 years ago. The advent of slavery was just 500. There is good evidence that they assimilated into the culture of indegnious peoples of the Americas. There was believed to be one king leaving West Africa in the 13 something but that was one trip. ""Could it be as the MOORISH SCIENCE TEMPLE describe, that we as blacks were already here? Was there really a mass transit of human cargo to the new world?"" Why would 10 or 11 million people leave Africa for America?

There is too much history to ignore to come to the position you have, if this is your position it is because you have not read enough on slavery. You have to figure out your motive for doubting such a significant historical period, because of the lack of photographs of depicting one tiny aspect of slavery you want to see.

Messages In This Thread

THE ALL TIME TRIVIA QUESTION
DO YOU BELIEVE IN A HEAVEN?
Re: DO YOU BELIEVE IN A HEAVEN?
Re: DO YOU BELIEVE IN A HEAVEN?
I'M NOT CERTAIN
Re: I'M NOT CERTAIN
I AGREE 100% *NM*
Re: I AGREE 100%
conspiracy theory?
Re: conspiracy theory?
OK I OVERSTAND NOW
Blessup Judah *NM*
Re: Blessup Judah
Good to see both of you wombman heart/minds *NM*
Re: Good to see both of you wombman heart/minds
good to see you too, of ma'at *NM*
CONSCIOUS PEOPLE NEED PROOF
Re: CONSCIOUS PEOPLE NEED PROOF
Re: CONSCIOUS PEOPLE NEED PROOF *LINK*
I AM A GODESS
Re: I AM A GODESS
LIFE IS A LESSON LEARNED
Re: LIFE IS A LESSON LEARNED
MY POINT EXACTLY LOL !!!
THE EMMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION & WHO IT COVERED
Re: THE EMMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION & WHO IT COVERE
Re: THE EMMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION & WHO IT COVERE
Why so obsessed about Ras Marcus?
Re: Why so obsessed about Ras Marcus?
Thank you for your post
Re: Thank you for your post
Re: Thank you for your post
the self-proclaimed queen is a goddess now
YOU NEED SERIOUS HELP
Re: YOU NEED SERIOUS HELP
IS THE COOKIE CHOCOLATE CHIP?
RESPONSE = ANSWER ?
Re: RESPONSE = ANSWER ? *NM* *LINK*
Re: RESPONSE = ANSWER ?
I & I were definitely kidnapped from Africa.
lets talk about the goddess.

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com