AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: For Colored Antagonisms: Tyler Perry and the P *LINK*

If we do not want to be us; why should anyone else? I haven't seen the movie 'for coloured girls' but if I had, I believe that I, and I am assuming here, like most African-Americans am quite capable of placing the movie within its context. Until we learn to accept ourselves, warts and all, and stop obsessing about our appearance through the prism of the European we are all coloured and will remain so until that day with no one to blame but ourselves, we go extinct.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Perry's work but then I'm not a fan of slapstick humor. I've also seen enough dramatizations of White sexual perversion; I recall Jessica Lange in A thousand Acres, and there've been many others; but I could find no 'white outrage' from European-Americans.

If there were such a national need for Black pathology Perry's movie would have broken all box office records. After years of African-American actors being marginalized by Hollywood, Perry has found a way to have Holly-Weird come begging at his door, he got that way by catering to his own, with a solid base he is now in position to provide vehicles that suit the talents of many 'unemployed/underemployed African-American Actors.

Does White America really need a movie depicting the misery of African-Americans to be their racist selves? I think not, Mr Ball missed a great teaching opportunity; if he weren't so concerned about himself being viewed by Whites through the prism of the film's characters, he could have provided the historical context for his young female student.

Why he would expect Henry Louis Gates' attitude towards reparations to be any different is beyond me, since its long been obvious to anyone familiar with his works, that he is unduly proud of the miscegeny in his ancestry

Messages In This Thread

For Colored Antagonisms: Tyler Perry and the Propa *LINK*
Re: For Colored Antagonisms: Tyler Perry and the P *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com