AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Then: Harris constable suspends Taser use *LINK*
In Response To: T.A.S.E.R. warning ()

Harris constable suspends Taser use
Treviño heeds warning about heart risks

By PEGGY O'HARE
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
Oct. 22, 2009, 7:31PM

Precinct 6 Constable Victor Treviño suspended the use of Tasers by his officers Thursday based on the manufacturer's warnings that the device could pose a “low risk” of heart troubles if fired into a person's chest.

Treviño said he wants legal advice and more research before deciding whether deputies may resume using the 50,000-volt stun guns. Around 25 of his deputies carry Tasers, which they paid for from their own pockets.

“It concerned me, that report I read,” Treviño said. “Even having the probability that they have linked the Taser to a heart attack — some possibility — is just enough for me to stop it immediately. I'd rather play it safe.”

Deputies with the Precinct 1 Constable's Mental Health Unit — who serve all mental health warrants in city limits and across Harris County — and the Precinct 3 Constable's offices will continue using Tasers unless the County Attorney's office advises otherwise, supervisors at those law enforcement agencies said. The remaining five constables' offices in Harris County do not use Tasers.

Aiming lower

Houston police and the Harris County Sheriff's Office have also said they will continue using the stun guns since they already train officers to avoid firing Tasers into a person's sensitive areas and to instead aim for a large muscle mass, such as the back.

Treviño said he was startled by the advisories issued last week by Taser International, which urged officers using the device to lower their aim a few inches to a person's “lower center mass” — from the sternum on down — to help “avoid any potential controversy” or lawsuits if someone dies after being zapped .

“The studies and the research I read before never even indicated there was a link to this possibly causing heart attacks or some heart damage,” Treviño said.

Several Harris County constables' offices said Thursday they have never used Tasers because of safety concerns.

“I've not yet been convinced of the safety, so I just never have authorized it ,” said Precinct 4 Constable Ron Hickman, noting lack of funds also precluded their use .

Constables' offices in Harris County Precincts 2, 5, 7 and 8 also do not allow their deputies to use Tasers.

“We're not saying that they don't work ... But I'm over the internal affairs division, and I'm just a little leery about just cutting them loose and the liability issue. There have been lots of incidents where you've had heart attacks, injuries due to this,” said Precinct 2 Constable's Sgt. Gilbert Phillips.

The County Attorney's office has not yet decided whether to recommend any policy changes but is researching the matter and has contacted Taser International for more information, said First Assistant Marc Hill.

“It is clear from what we have looked at that Tasers, when used properly, have saved lives and reduced injuries of law enforcement officers and civilians,” Hill said.

peggy.ohare@chron.com

Messages In This Thread

T.A.S.E.R. warning
Then: Harris constable suspends Taser use *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com