AfricaSpeaksHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Message Board
Buy Books
RELATED LINKSCOMMUNITYREASONING FORUMCHAT ROOMARCHIVES
Photo Gallery | About Us | Terms of Use | Register/Create a Profile  
This is a new script for this board. Some posters would have to re-register.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Contact us at: rastafarispeaks@yahoo.com

Follow us on twitter and on facebook at:
AfricaSpeaksRastafariSpeaksCheik Anta Diop

Rastafari Speaks

Re: so did he succeed or fail?

"Every battle that the Italians won in Abyssinia resulted from the advanced charge of the Askaris. It was black men fighting black men, and this was made possible in Abyssinia because the regime of Haile Selassie had given a bad taste to the mouth, not only of the blacks of Abyssinia but of those of the surrounding territories. They felt that they had a cause against the Amharic white loving Emperor who liked to chain and flog black men, and whose brutality to them gave Mussolini the cause to fool the world that he was bestowing a blessing upon the people of Abyssinia by freeing them."

So explain to me how King Selassie's regime was so bad for the people when he increased the Gross Domestic Product by 25% and built schools and universities.How is it that he was able to gain large sums of money,internationally to help the nation if his regime was so bad.

Any black man(whether Amhara or highland darker skinned black)would be a complete fool to think that Benito Mussolini who was supported by Hitler ,the Fascist white supremist,would be of benefit for Ethiopia is not only a race traitor but is also traitor to their country.How educated were the Ashkaris to do with Mussolini and Hitler with his Mein Kampf publication?Somehow,I know that King Selassie was alot more informed with regard to international political leaders than many in Ethiopia,as it was his job to do so.
So what...there were those who would betray a political leader/Feudal Monarch in times of unrest.Again,it does'nt prove anything.Check the looting that goes on in times of civil unrest in many countries.

NO SLAVES

It was a piece of impertinence to suggest that black men should be held as slaves. We must admit that we glorified Haile Selassie when the war started, fought his battles to win international support, but we ever felt deep down in our hearts that he was a slave master. We had hoped that if Abyssinia had won that we would have forced the Government of Abyssinia to free the black whom they held as slaves. We would have preferred this than seeing the country taken by Mussolini or any European power; but now that the country is temporarily lost and the Emperor has cowardly exiled himself, the truth must be told.

Can you Ibid me the 'having slaves'.I notice you dont have a source reference on this.
There were black people in the prison system in Ethiopia at the time,however...you'll find that in a black nation,in Africa.

WHAT RIGHT HAS HE?

"The future freedom of Abyssinia must be built upon the highest principles of democracy. That is why it is preferable for the Abyssinian Negroes and the Negroes of the world to work for the restoration and freedom of the country without the assistance of Haile Selassie, because at best he is but a slave master. The Negroes of the Western World whose forefathers suffered for three hundred years under the terrors of slavery ought to be able to appreciate what freedom means. Surely they cannot feel justified in supporting any system that would hold their brothers in slavery in another country whilst they are enjoying the benefits of freedom elsewhere."

"Democracy".I wonder where the writer(Garvey?) at this time got his idea of "democracy"...would'nt have been white people would it?Perhaps some university?America?Most likely so

"The Africans who are free can also appreciate the position of slaves in Abyssinia. What right has the Emperor to keep slaves when all the democratic sections of the world were free, when men had the right to live, to develop, to expand, to enjoy all the benefits of human liberty[?]
The Emperor who has been exiled in Europe must have seen the civilization of Europe. In England where he lives he sees that men are not flogged and chained and kicked because of their colour or because of their condition, but where true human liberty guarantees to every man the happiest pursuit he can bring to himself."

Yes...Good ol England land of the free(lol)

"It has been reported that he is leaving England for Syria, where a large number of Abyssinian refugees are living. There is an interpretation that the decision to leave England and to live among "his people?" in Syria is to perpetuate his divine majesty in the presence of that king worship that he doesn't get in England, where men look at others as equals and not as masters by divine right."

Yes,because England does'nt have a monarchy and the queen of England has nothing to do with slavery?1936...Hmmm wonder how good ol' Britain was doing in India and such places at the time.Excuse the mild sarcasm.One minute attacking Selassie about going to England and dealing with its pompous aristocracy and government and then praising the 'great democracy' of England.???Maybe I am reading this wrong but it does'nt make much sense.Seems like hypocracy.Does this make sense to anyone else?

"In truth, the Emperor is out of place in democratic England. He wants to be once more in the environment of the feudal Monarch who looks down upon his slaves and serfs with contempt. Except he changes the attitude of thinking himself better than the Negro who constitutes the larger number of Ethiopia and profit by the experience he has gained, he should not be a fit person to be in authority in the very country in which he was born. After all, Haile Selassie is just an ordinary man like any other human being. What right has he to hold men as slaves? It is only the misfortune of the slaves that causes him to be a slave master. Negroes who have the dignity of their race at heart resent the impertinence of anyone holding the blacks as slaves. Haile Selassie ought to realise this and abolish his foolish dream of being an Emperor of slaves and serfs and try to be an Emperor of noble men, and for him to be that he must himself be the noblest of them all. He hasn't proved his nobility in the war between Italy and Abyssinia. Ras Desta proved to be the Lord, the Nobleman of Ethiopia whilst Halle Selassie proved a cringing coward!"

Ras Desta and Haile Selassie.Well maybe because Ras Desta suggested that Selassie leave.

(RE-UP : http://www.ethiopianreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14370&p=78658 )

I am not a Negro at all; I am a Caucasian' the Emperor Menelik told the West Indian pan-Africanist Benito Sylvian who had come to Addis Ababa to solicit the Emperor's leadership in a society for the 'Amelioration of the Negro race.' Haile Sellassie confirmed that view in a declaration to Chief H. O. Davis, a well known Nigerian nationalist, stating that the Ethiopians did not regard themselves as Africans, but as 'a mixed Hamito-Semitic people
SOURCE"

Still looking for the SOURCE.You forgot to post it.Sure this is not heresay?

Menelik is also again on record telling the then Italian representative to Ethiopia, Count Antonelli,

"that he loved Italy so much that he felt 'half Italian and no greater wish that to go there and see it"

Chris Prouty, Empress Taytu and Menelik II page 57

Here's the whole quote of Menelik's identity issues and his claims as the Italians as his friends:

""i love italy and I love it so much that almost I feel myself Italian, and I have no other desire than to go if it were possible, I myself (want) to see this Italy, to which many years of friendship bind me.

Source

Look at Menelik asking the Italians to occupy Eritrean highlands.

"Via Antonelli's courier, Menelik informed the King of Italy that he would like the Italian soldiers to occupy Asmara, in order to discourage the imperial pretensions of Mengesha Yohannes (the son of Emperor Yohannes)." "There after," added Menelik, "God will give me the throne that for many years I have had the right to have."

Chris Prouty, Empress Taytu and Menelik II p. 6

Menelik II also had wrote to King Umberto of Italy and said, among other things, that this region was theres to share with:

"I beg Your Majesty to defend me against every one as I don't know what European kings will say about this let others know that this region is ours."

Is Italy fighting Ethiopia now?NO.
Was it in 1887?NO

Chris Prouty, "Empress Taytu and Menelik II," p. 54

When Haile Selasie, the emperor of Ethiopia, was interviewed by the Nigerian

Daily times about Ethiopian racial identity in the 1930s, he said, "That

Ethiopians were not, and did not regard themselves as negros [sic], as they

were a Hamito-Semitic people"

Fighting Against the Injustice of the State and Globalization By Asafa Jalata, p.96

SOURCE

When Haile Selassie fled to London, Gravey tried to contact him

but was snubbed, and it was reported that

"the emperor did not desire any contact with 'Negroes."

The New World of Negro Americans By Harold Robert Isaacs p.153

SOURCE

Menelik II and Selassie both agreeing they are not Africans but rather in Menelik II own words as a "Caucasian".

Some say the fastest Ethiopian track star that ever lived is none other than Haile Selassie. When Mussonlini invaded Ethiopia, Haile Selassie, their general (that never seen war), ran away and fled for his life faster than any long distance star.

"In his desperate act to hold power, Haile Selassie now made a secret peace overture to Mussolini, sending a former Ethiopian Minister in Rome to contact the Italian consul in Djibouti. He offered to sell a large part of Ethiopia to Italy for one and half milliard Lira and to appoint six Italian advisors to direct the policy of his government. Mussolini sent sourteous reply to the intermediary, expressing his pleasure that the Negus had at last decided to negotiate directly with him; but he said the offer was unacceptable."

J. Ridley, p. 270

ASKARI ETHIOPIANS: Menelik was the biggest Askari but here are some honorable mentions:

Ethiopians Admiring Mussolini Poster

Original caption: 11/19/1935-Ethiopia-Natives of a captured Tigray province pay their respects, Italian fashion, to a huge likeness of the "Great White Father."

Source

Ethiopian Woman Wearing Soldier's Fez

A barebreasted Ethiopian woman, representing the native Ascari soldiers fighting for Italy, is photographed wearing an Ascari fez in order to motivate the Italian soldiers.

source

Abyssinians Who Guard The Italian Legation in Abyssinia.

a west African pan-Africanist, Benito Sylvain, who went to Addis Ababa to enlist his support for a society for the 'Amelioration of the Negro Race'. Menelik replied, 'Yours is an excellent idea...The Negro should be uplifted....I wish you the greatest possible sucess. But in coming to me to take the leeadership, you are knocking at the wrong door, so to speak. You know, I am not a Negro at all; I am a Caucasian. "

SOURCE NOT YET found= more fluff.

Blessed.

Messages In This Thread

the failure of an emperor
Re: the failure of an emperor
perhaps the problem is with 'deification'
Re: the failure of an emperor *LINK*
could there be a "maafa" withe out White Supremacy *LINK*
so did he succeed or fail? *NM*
Re: so did he succeed or fail?
did you have a response? *NM*
Re: did you have a response?
respectfully, may I say this...
Re: respectfully, may I say this...
By the way: (to the original poster)

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com