Re: Ethiopian Christianity
Posted By: yan In Response To: Re: Ethiopian Christianity (rasi)
Date: Sunday, 5 December 2004, at 11:45 p.m.
In Response To: Re: Ethiopian Christianity (rasi)
You seem to be wilfully misunderstanding what I am explaining. So I will just give you a few other sources that I have researched. It is really up to you to check them. You certainly do not have to agree with anything I have said. I simply present my research and what I derive from it. Thus far you have not invalidated the central points I have made:
1. Ethiopia is an ancient Christian monarchy that did have links political and otherwise with other Christian European monarchies. You can see 'links' in anyway you feel to
2. The centralization of Ethiopia under one Christian ruler did impose Christianity and infringe on the power of other once independent states and religions.
3. The monarchies did deal very harshly and violently with opposition from these groups that attempted to retain their autonomy
4. Ethiopian rulers at varying times were confident that they could call on European rulers for aid in times of war with their Muslim neighbours. Whether whatever aid that did come was sufficient or came at all is not entirely relevant. The fact is these rulers felt comfortable and confident enough to negotiate political alliances with European rulers.
5. In my view, Selassie, due to a long standing relationship in his line with European monarchies, and his own adherence to Christian beliefs could not have fully understood either the damaging effects of Christianizing colonialism on other Africans, or the need by other African nations to operate completely free of European assistance, intervention or paternalism.
These are a few of the books that I have read among others for you to consider:
Church and state in Ethiopia, 1270-1527 by Taddesse Tamrat.
Ethiopia: the era of the princes: the challenge of Islam and the re-unification of the Christian empire, 1769-1855. Mordechai Abir
Ancient and medieval Ethiopian history to 1270 by Sergew Hable Selassie
Messages In This Thread
Rastafari Speaks Archive is maintained by Administrator with RastafariSpeaks.com 5.12.
FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml