Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Great Tribulations Of Rastafari People's Pioneers

Great Tribulations Of Rastafari People
When Marcus Garvey was about to leave Jamaica to go to the United States of America, he told the members of the UNIA, to look to Africa for the crowning of a black King, and that he shall be the redeemer of black people everywhere. The year was 1916 when he left for America, and it was the same year when in Ethiopia, there was a public proclamation at the great Square, that Dejazmatch Tafari Makonnen, has been promoted to the rank of Ras, as well as Regent and heir to the Ethiopian Throne, and that there after he would be known as Ras Tafari Makonnen.

As early as November 1st 1905, Tafari Makonnen was appointed as Dejazmatch which made him the governor of a large area called Gara Mulatto by his father Ras Makonnen, who was the governmental administrator and head of the military for all of Ethiopia, who took orders from Emperor Menelik only. Considering that Tafari was only 13 years and three months of age, Ras Makonnen assembled all of his officers, troops, nobles and other people who worked with him for many years, and told them that the fate of his son Tafari, is in the hands of the Creator, but he is also commending him into their hands, for their care and protection. On that same day he also gave Tafari a main administrator and a tutor to help him with the work as well as assigning the house unto him.

From that day on, there was a great Army of Dejazmatch Tafari’s own people, which was always with him offering their care protection and black love, but when his father Ras Makonnen died in less than six months later, after that great day of introduction and assemble, then his followers and well wishers multiplied greatly across the entire Empire of Ethiopia. Since his mother died when he was less than two years of age, and his father then died when he was just under 14 years of age, the people in Ethiopia were watching his career and wishing him the best in their hearts. So, it must be realized, that Dejazmatch Tafari Makonnen, had a very large following as a very young governor, and he is the only true founder of the Ras Tafari people’s movement.

By the time he was given the Rank of Ras, 11 years later, in the year 1916, and he was then known as Ras Tafari Makonnen, his following again multiplied and he was known everywhere in the land, and was then the talk of the people of Ethiopia. Fourteen years later, in the year 1930, it was time for Ras Tafari Makonnen to sit upon the Etrhiopian Throne, and his following and popularity continued to increase. The Coronation had to be delayed for seven months, some thing which has never taken place in the history of the Ethiopian Monarchy, this delay took place, in order to properly welcome and accommodate the large amount of guest, which were expected to be invited, which also included international guests. The news spread widely in the Caribbean as a result of Marcus Garvey and the UNIA, since Marcus Garvey was on top of this news, concerning this black King to be crowned in Mama Africa. So, people in Jamaica and other parts of the Caribbean as well as other parts of Africa, and the world over, were very excited and very curious, regarding this matter of this great expected Coronation. Yes, curiosity was floating all around. It was at this time that the echoes of the words of Marcus Garvey, were echoing in the minds of his people, Look to Africa for the crowning of a black King he shall be your redeemer. Yes, these words echoed in the minds of the members of the UNIA, but especially in the minds of Robert Hinds, Leonard Howell, Archibald Dunkley, and Joseph Hibbert who were reported, to be also members of the UNIA. These four Rastafari people’s pioneers took the Coronation of His Majesty very serious, and there were others in other areas of the country, who were pioneers of the Rastafari people’s movement, who also took the Coronation very serious, and were also pioneers but got lost in written history.

Leonard Howell according to written reports, started his Rastafari teachings in the slums of west Kingston. Joseph Hibbert started his Ministering in St. Andrew in a District called Benoah,. Archibald Dunkley started his teachings in Port Antonio, but Robert Hinds stayed in Kinston along with Leonard Howell. As time went by, Jopseph Hibbert, as well as Archibald Dunkley, moved to Kingston and united with Howell and Hinds in the struggle, so, to be fair, they were all equally early pioneers, in the great struggles of the Rastafari people’s movement. Since these early pioneers were then working together, they would sometimes have street meetings, but would sometimes be harassed by the police, since this was a new brand kind of teaching. They would also sometimes travel to the country parts with their teachings and would also have street meetings whenever, and wherever it was possible.

It has been reported, that on the 16th of December 1933, there was a open air Rastafari street meeting in Trinityville St. Thomas, and that Leonard Howell was one of the speakers, and in his speech, he never hold back nothing, he was teaching his people about black power, and about revenge for the slave masters who enslaved us, and about Africa for Africans those at home and those abroad, It was said that he also mentioned black supremacy in his teachings at that meeting among other things. Leonard Howell was later arrested and charged for sedition and imprisoned for two years, Robert Hinds who was described as his deputy, was also arrested and sent to prison for one year, then they quickly rounded up Joseph Hibbert and Archibald Dunkley and have them arrested and also sent them off to prison.

The Government was now happy that they have imprisoned the ringleaders of the Rastafari people’s movement, and in their narrow minds, they therefore thought, that would be the end of the matter, what they did not realized, is that there were other Rastafari pioneers, who would carry on the work, while Howell, Hinds, Hibbert and Dunkley were in prison, yes, there were other pioneers who carried on the work quietly while the others were imprisoned.
When the Rastafari pioneers returned from prison, they organized their people and by the year 1940, they were already living in the Hills of St Catherine at this place called Pinnacle. It has been reported that between 500 and 1600 people were living there at the camp in Pinnacle. They were there to find some solitude and some peace of mind, but Babylon would not allow them to be living in peace by them selves, so, about the month of July in the year 1941, Babylon raided their community and arrested 70 people on various charges, and out of the seventy Rastafari people, 28 of them were sent to prison. They did not hold Howell immediately, but hunted him down later and gave him another two years in prison.

By the year 1953 it was known by the people around that the Rastafari assembles were again in full swing at Pinnacle, and so, by 1954, the police raided Pinnacle again, quite annoying, they just would not leave these peaceful people alone, this time arresting 163 Rastafari people, but this time, the judge realized that the more they were sent to prison, the more the movement multiplied, so, he described them as a nuisance and acquitted them, and have the police let them out into the slums of west Kingston.
It is reported that the police went back to Pinnacle, and had it completely destroyed.

It has been said that Pinnacle was an old slavery Plantation and that it was bought by Leonard Howell, it has also been said by another report that Howell either bought Pinnacle or may have captured it. We are not able to verify any of this information, but we are hoping that Catherine Howell, the Daughter of Leonard Howell, will be able to edify our Rastafari people’s community on this subject, on Saturday the 24th of May-08 at Sojourner Douglass College in Baltimore Maryland, where she is expected to speak on matters Relating to Pinnacle.

Seventy Rastafari people were arrested in the police raid at Pinnacle in the year 1941, and 28 of them were sent to prison, it would be a very good thing, if a research could be done, to find out the names of those 28 Rastafari people who were imprisoned, as well as those who were set free. It would also be good to also try to find out the names of the 163 Rastafari people, who were arrested at the police raid in Pinnacle in the year 1954, who were later acquitted, and dumped off in the slum areas of West Kingston by the police, who later went to Pinnacle and have it completely destroyed. We do think that all of those Rastafari people who were arrested as well as those who were imprisoned are worthy of respect and great honor.

In conclusion, please let it be known, that the Rastafari movement, did not really start in the Island of Jamaica, but was started on the 1st of November 1905, by Dejazmatch Tafari Makonnen when he was made Governor by his father Ras Makonnen, and was presented to the entire large community of workers, which was controlled by his father Ras Makonnen.

At the same time, we would like to pay respect to Leonard Howell, Robert Hinds, Joseph Hibbert, Archibald Dunkley and all the other pioneers in the early days, who took the great baton of good knowledge, when it over flowed from the great Coronation which took place in Ethiopia, and moved ahead with it, and spread it among African people everywhere. Africa for Africans those at home and those abroad.
Again I send many oceans of blessings and self determination to African people everywhere.
ONE BLACK HEART ONE BLACK LOVE
Baba Ras Marcus

Messages In This Thread

Great Tribulations Of Rastafari People's Pioneers
Re: Great Tribulations Of Rastafari People's Pione
GIVE THANKS FOR THE RECORDS!
Re: GIVE THANKS FOR THE RECORDS!
Peace Honor & Blessings To Rastafari Poineers
Give thanks for the Epistle! *NM*
Re: Give thanks for the Epistle!
Ras Marcus
Re: Ras Marcus
MY LORD THE I HAS TO COME TO GHANA??
YES I!
Re: MY LORD THE I HAS TO COME TO GHANA??
HONERBLE!!!!!!!!
Re: HONERBLE!!!!!!!!
MAJASTY!
Re: MAJASTY!
JAH LIVE!
Re: JAH LIVE!
LETS MEET HERE AT CITY COLLEGE OF NY IF YOU REAL
Re: LETS MEET HERE AT CITY COLLEGE OF NY IF YOU RE
MY LORD AND EMPRESS!
Re: MY LORD AND EMPRESS!
Re: LETS MEET HERE AT CITY COLLEGE OF NY IF YOU RE
BLESS UP!
Re: BLESS UP!
LOVE LOVE!
Re: LOVE LOVE!
Re: LOVE LOVE!
Great Rastafari Patriots In The EarlyDays
Ras Earthquake, Ras Thunder ,Ras Lightening, .
Re: Ras Earthquake, Ras Thunder ,Ras Lightening, .
Land Is The Basis Of Production And Prosperity
Re: Land Is The Basis Of Production And Prosperity
Time Is Much longer Than The Ropes They Have .
Re: Time Is Much longer Than The Ropes They Have .

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com