Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Was Mohammed White?

Greetings Ras
There is an Islamic tradition that states that Mohammed was white. I can not say if white is meant to mean light in skin compared to darker Afrikan/Asiatic people or white as in European. It could also been symbolic of peace or the color of his garments because Mohammed was said to always wear white.

The reference to white is writen in the Sahih Bukhari. Here is some info on the Sahih Bukhari:

"Sahih Bukhari is a collection of sayings and deeds of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), also known as the sunnah. The reports of the Prophet's sayings and deeds are called ahadith. Bukhari lived a couple of centuries after the Prophet's death and worked extremely hard to collect his ahadith. Each report in his collection was checked for compatibility with the Qur'an, and the veracity of the chain of reporters had to be painstakingly established. Bukhari's collection is recognized by the overwhelming majority of the Muslim world to be one of the most authentic collections of the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh)."

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/sbtintro.html

EXCERPT FROM THE SAHIH BUKHARI/HADITH:

Hadith 1:63 states:

"While we were sitting with the Prophet in the mosque, a man came riding on a camel. He made his camel kneel down in the mosque, tied its foreleg and then said: "Who amongst you is Muhammad?" At that time the Prophet was sitting amongst us (his companions) leaning on his arm. We replied, "This white man reclining on his arm." The an then addressed him, "O Son of 'Abdul Muttalib.'"

In Hadith 2:122 it states:

"My father said, "I heard Ibn 'Umar reciting the poetic verses of Abu Talib: And a white (person) (i.e. the Prophet) who is requested to pray for rain and who takes care of the orphans and is the guardian of widows." Salim's father (Ibn 'Umar) said, "The following poetic verse occurred to my mind while I was looking at the face of the Prophet (p.b.u.h) while he was praying for rain. He did not get down till the rain water flowed profusely from every roof-g utter: And a white (person) who is requested to pray for rain and who takes care of the orphans and is the guardian of widows . . . And these were the words of Abu Talib."

And in verse 141 it states:

"The Prophet never raised his hands for any invocation except for that of Istisqa' and he used to raise them so much that the whiteness of his armpits became visible."

I know this is kinda off the topic of the intent of the initial post. But the mention of white people and Islam reminded I of this.

What do ones think of this?

Peace

Messages In This Thread

Caucus Mountains and the Bible/Qu'ran
Re: Caucus Mountains and the Bible/Qu'ran
Was Mohammed White?
Re: Was Mohammed White?
Last Sermon of the Prophet Mohammed *LINK*
Re: Last Sermon of the Prophet Mohammed
Re: Last Sermon of the Prophet Mohammed

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com