HomepageHowcomyoucomRaceandHistoryRootsWomenTrinicenter
Homepage
Rastafari Speaks Archive
Buy Books
ARCHIVE HOMEMESSAGE BOARDREASONING FORUMARTICLESNEWS WEBLOG

Read Only : Rastafari Speaks Reasoning Archives

Rastafari Speaks Archive 1

Re: Relations Between Africans and African America

"My friends in the States- there is a Zimbabwean community in Arlington, Texas, among other places, tells me the same thing- MaNegro (as we call Black Americans. This is not meant to be a disparaging term, it is a tribal term, like I am Buja and someone is Tutsi or Scottish etc) are not as brotherly as we thought they would be and so the Zimbabweans tend to keep to themselves."

Interesting. Arlington Texas is in the DFW(Dallas Fort Wroth) metropex. I probably have seen these folks before at different events. Let them know that Oliver Mtukudzi will be in Dallas on 09/16 Dallas.(They probably already know)

Since it is in close proximity I will speak on it. People that move to Texas from anywhere go through being treated like an outsider. Lifelong residents treat you as some kind of 'alien from another planet' when when you don't talk/act/speak/dress just like 'the locals'. Texas has a particularly xenophobic attitude that hasn't quite been matched in my travels. I am a 'transplant' from California, and I get pretty much the same treatment from so-called African-Amerikkkans who consider themselves 'Native Texans' as people from other countries(Everyone I know not from 'here', 'here' meaning Texas, goes through this including the post Katrina new Orleans folk. I actually end up associating with very few people who were actually raised in this state. Not because I care, but because they literally reject you.

To give you an example, BUSH is from 'here'! We all know how worldy and informed he is!

But beyond that, since I work(and organize) with the different continental communittees in the Dallas Metroplex. The Zimbabwean community seems to be one of the more micro-nationalist. Not in any type of hateful way, but they stick to themselves. Other Continental African communitees attend each other's events more frequently, but it is rare to see Zimbabweans do this. Not sure why...

Also, Zimbabweans in particularly seem to be the more 'classist' of the different communites, often living as far away from the 'urban areas'(In other words, where so called African-Amerikkkans are in abundance) as possible. That being said, if not approached with the usual ignorant comments about the motherland that I here so many people make "down here"(in the Southern U.S.) they are also some of the 'friendlier' people from Africa I have come across. Especially the women.

Continental, Caribbean, and U.S. born Africans are often are in the same social circles in Dallas. The overt racism from Europeans/Whites kind of 'pushes' us together in a way I didn't experience in California or NY.

But we do have a long way to go when it comes to the way we stereotype each other. Colonization and slavery did a number on all of us, and our views of each other.

Messages In This Thread

Relations Between Africans and African Americans *LINK*
Read AGAIN
THE 'BREZHINSKI MEMO' HOW TO DIVIDE/DESTROY *LINK*
Re: Relations Between Africans and African America *LINK*

FAIR USE NOTICE:
This site may at times contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Copyright © 2003-2014 RastafariSpeaks.com & AfricaSpeaks.com